Rutgers at Michigan Stock Up, Stock Down

p7ashdimitri1017

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — A strong start led to a disappointing finish for the Rutgers football team on Saturday, as it hung with Michigan for the majority of the first half. The Wolverines (6-2, 3-2) would take over with their stout running game and come away with the 35-14 win over the Scarlet Knights (3-5, 2-3).

Stock Up

These players/coaches performed well and improved their stock.

Janarion Grant

The senior wide receiver looked like his old self again, scoring a 64-yard touchdown on a direct snap to tie the game at 7 in the second quarter. He showed the speed to get away from a group of Wolverine defenders and broke away for the score. On a kickoff late in the first half, he hit the hole and if not for a shoestring tackle, would have scored another touchdown. He was the reason Rutgers was able to be competitive for as long as it was and showed why he is so valuable to the team.

Giovanni Rescigno

The stats for Rescigno weren't great, but he was held back by very poor offensive line play and a couple of drops from his receivers. Despite this, he did not turn the ball over and threw for a season-high 101 yards. He also showed an incredible amount of toughness after being hit so often and never staying down.

Chris Ash

Not enough can be said about the way that he had his team prepared. Michigan was far and away the more talented team, but that didn't show until the second half. And even after going down 28-7 in the third quarter, his team did not give up and went on an 11-play, 75-yard touchdown drive that was the team's most impressive scoring drive of the season. He gets his players ready and boy did those players play hard against Michigan.

Stock Down

These players/coaches did not perform well and need to show improvement.

Offensive Line

The offensive line, without a doubt, had its worst game of the season. The running backs averaged just 2.4 yards per carry and Rescigno never had time to throw the football. He was hit all afternoon and sacked 5 times, a season high for an offensive line that had only given up six total sacks in the first seven games of the season.

Defensive Line

Football games are won in the trenches and it's no surprise that Rutgers lost when its offensive and defensive lines did not play well. Michigan ran the ball 51 times for 334 yards, choosing to run the ball 31 more times than it attempted a pass. The d-line was dominated the entire game and let the Michigan offensive line control the tempo — and ultimately the outcome — of the game.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @GriffinWhitmer and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Griffin Whitmer