Rutgers competes at Navy Blue & Gold Invitational, Cochrane earns runner-up finish

onlinejacicochranejeffrey417

The Rutgers tennis team traveled to Annapolis, Maryland for the Navy's Blue & Gold Invitational this past weekend.

The Scarlet Knights faced a number of competitive teams including Maryland of the Big Ten as well as Connecticut (UConn) and Navy from the American Athletic Conference. In addition, schools like Binghamton, George Mason, George Washington, Howard, Morgan State, Seton Hall and Towson competed for the crown.

Sophomores Jaci Cochrane and Kat Muzik earned a runner-up seat and consolation recognition for Rutgers respectively.

Cochrane’s first match of the competition came with winning sets of 7-5, 6-2 over Michal Matson of Seton Hall.

In the following match, Cochrane controlled Amanda Cyr of Navy thanks to a triumph of 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4). Cochrane continued the momentum with a 6-3, 6-3 sweep against Zaina Zaki of UConn in semifinals.

For the championship contest in the singles “C” flight, Cochrane confronted Jacque Lazaro of UConn, who upset freshman Isabelle Da Silva of Rutgers by a score of 6-2, 6-2 in the previous quarterfinals dispute.

At the beginning of the final match, Cochrane dominated the first set by 6-3. Lazaro reacted immediately and bounced back in the second set with a 7-5 rebound win. The frenetic match reached a third set breaker of 10 points with both of the competitors battling until the end.

The game required a win by two for a contestant to claim the title, but neither Cochrane nor Lazaro gave up.

After an intense back and forth attempts for the final point, Lazaro overcame an early setback with a 10-7 compelling super breaker over Cochrane.

Cochrane took second place in the singles “C” flight in one of the best performance for the Knights during the weekend event.

Cochrane finished 3-1 in the singles brackets and 1-1 in doubles action. With this competition, Cochrane registered a 4-3 singles record in the fall campaign.

Muzik made her debut in the quarterfinals round and was defeated in the final set to drop the match 6-2, 5-7, 0-1 (2-10) against Carlee Conway of Navy. Once in the consolation bracket, Muzik managed to win 9-7 to Summer Walker of UConn and 8-2 to Katie Kim of Seton Hall to meet her senior teammate Chloe Lee in an all-Rutgers final matchup for the “B” singles flight.

Muzik took an 8-4-victory over Lee for a third straight win of the weekend and collect a 5-2 record in single play. Furthermore, Muzik also tied freshman Maya Jacobs for the team lead in wins this season.

In the singles “A” flight, Jacobs suffered a 4-8 loss against Nathalie Finch for a consolation meeting while senior Mingxiu Du lost in quarterfinals by a score of 0-6, 6-7 (4-7) against Jacki Fitz-Randolph of UConn.

Freshman Kat Rosenberger dropped a 4-6, 0-6 match against Elizabeth Kuzyi of UConn, while senior Lee Levy did not have much participation with a 3-8 fall in hands of Khinda Nasef of Howard for consolation brackets in the singles “D” flight.

Rutgers will compete next at the ITA Mideast Regional Championship from Oct. 18 until Oct. 23 in Philadelphia.

For updates on the Rutgers tennis team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kervy Robles