Rutgers takes last place at Big Ten Championships for third straight year

p11robinsondt116

The Rutgers women’s cross country team placed last for the third consecutive year at the Big Ten Championships 6-kilometer race in Bloomington, Indiana, last Sunday.

The Scarlet Knights placed 14th overall with an average time of 23:02 after accumulating 427 points and having 3 of their 9 runners place within the top-100 at the Indiana University Championship Cross Country Course.

Last year’s champion Michigan added yet another championship on Sunday as the Wolverines averaged an impressive 20:36 and scored 55 points overall. The victory is Michigan’s third since 2012.

Minnesota and Wisconsin rounded out the top-three, finishing second (86 points) and third (100 points), respectively.

Leading the pack for Rutgers was senior Alexandra Juzwiak, who placed 84th overall with a time of 22:34.2 and an average mile time of 6:03.2.

Juzwiak also led the Knights at last season’s Big Ten Championships, where she finished 95th overall (23:37.9).

Freshman Olympia Martin made another significant stride this season in finishing second on the Rutgers squad. She finished in 22:53.3 and placed 93rd overall.

Sophomore Lou Miahle was the final Knight in the top-100, placing 98th overall with a time of 23:02.7.

Sophomores Stephanie Mauer and Emma Bergman followed their classmate, finishing the course in 23:17.3 (105th) and 23:24.9 (108th), respectively.

Freshman Kiera Nealon ran the six-kilometer in 23:29.3 and placed 109th overall.

Sophomore Nadia Saponara was just behind Nealon as she crossed the finish line with a time of 23:30.1, good for 110th overall.

Freshman Kaitlyn Bragen finished the course in 24:02.5, which placed her 114th overall.

Junior Genevieve Cickavage, who told The Daily Targum that she was excited about the pack mentality of her team going into the Big Ten Championships, just trailed Bragen. She placed 116th overall with a time of 24:22.4.

Next time out, the Scarlet Knights will likely wrap up their season at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional Championships at the Lehigh Goodman Campus Cross Country Course in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. This will mark the team’s third appearance at the Lehigh six-kilometer course since the beginning of September.

For updates on the Rutgers women's cross country team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton