Rutgers heads north for Buffalo Invitational for its last event of fall season

The Rutgers tennis team will compete at a new event this weekend, as it will get ready for the Buffalo Invitational at the State University of New York at Buffalo from Nov. 3 to 5 in New York.

The Scarlet Knights come to this indoor invite after a positive collective performance at the ITA Northeast Regional Championships, where three players qualified for the round of 64.

Those three players were senior Mingxiu Du and sophomores Kat Muzik and Jaci Cochrane, and head coach Hilary Ritchie maintains that Rutgers has made strides from its previous events.

“We have shown a lot of improvement,” Ritchie said. 

Ritchie later went on to praise her players' specific outputs on the court, owing the team's recent relative success — as with Kat Muzik's runner-up finish at the Navy's Blue & Gold Invitational — to their athleticism and strength.

“We are working on being better at the corner when we get pulled wide as well as in offensive, hitting back powerful shots," she said.

Senior Chloe Lee, 2-5, joins Rutgers in Buffalo after an early elimination in the opening round in the main singles bracket at the ITA Regional Championships.

Freshmen Isabelle Da Silva (2-3) and Kat Rosenberger (1-4) will return to the courts after they last competed at the Navy’s Blue & Gold Invitational in Maryland at the beginning of October.

Senior Lee Levy, 0-5, is expected to participate in the Buffalo Invitational while freshman Maya Jacobs, 5-3, waits for a speedy recovery from an injury that forced her to abandon the ITA Regional Championships in the main singles draw the past weekend.

In doubles competition, the Knights will try to improve a 9-15 team record for this season.

The Buffalo Invitational will gather the best athletes in the region, but this does not threaten Rutgers' confidence, especially for Ritchie, who holds great expectations for her talented roster

“We have a lot of variety in the singles displays, and there are good teams in this tournament, but I have high expectations," Ritchie said.

For updates on the Rutgers tennis team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kervy Robles