Rutgers collects 3rd straight victory with home win over Virginia

p11Scaife-Jeffrey11.17

Standout fifth-year senior guard Tyler Scaife delivered another dominating performance on Monday night at the Rutgers Athletic Center to lift the Rutgers women's basketball team over Virginia (4-6), 52-43. 

Scaife scored 22 points on the night for the Scarlet Knights (8-2), while also adding four rebounds, three blocks, two assists and one steal. She shot 8-17 from the field and was a perfect 5-5 at the free throw line. She also had no turnovers in the entire game. 

With another 20-plus point scoring performance, it marks the fifth time this season Scaife has done that in a game. Tonight’s 22 points also propelled her into fourth all time on the Rutgers' all-time scoring list, as she now stands at 1,812 points.

Next up on the all time scoring list for Scaife to chase is Kahleah Copper who played from 2012-2016, ending her career with 1,872 points scored. The Knights' all time leader is Sue Wicks (1984-88) who has 2,655 points, which leads both the men's and women's programs. 

Forward Stasha Carey nearly posted a double-double for the Rutgers Monday night, scoring 9 points and hauling in nine rebounds on the night. The next highest scoring players for the Knights were Jazlynd Rollins and Nigia Greene, who had 6 points apiece. 

Rutgers had 12 assists in the game, and five of them came from guard Khadaizha Sanders. 

The Knights only turned the ball over eight times in the game, while forcing Virginia into committing 12 turnovers. Those 12 turnovers marks only the second game of the season where Rutgers has failed to cause 20 or more turnovers.

The Knights' best quarter came in the second, when they outscored Virginia, 15-5. They also led Virginia in bench points scored, 14-2, something that has been a staple all year for this Rutgers team, who continually rotates in players off the bench in order to be better equipped for head coach C. Vivian Stringer’s signature ‘55’ press defense. 

Virginia had two players in double figures on the night, with Jocelyn Willoughby scoring 14 points and J’Kyra Brown scoring 13. Felicia Aiyeotan led Virginia in rebounds securing 11 on the night. 

Virginia is the second Atlantic Coast Conference team Rutgers has faced this season, as it beat NC State 57-53 on Nov. 30. With the win, Rutgers moves to 8-2 on the season, and it is now tied for the lead in wins in the Big Ten Conference. 

Rutgers continues its homestand on Friday, with a game against in-state rival Seton Hall. Seton Hall is 6-1 on the season, and has three players who average over 10 points per game. It should be a good test defensively for Rutgers, as Seton Hall averages 81.1 points scored per game.

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Matthew Howe