October 16, 2018 | ° F

Eat gourmet with fancy grilled cheese

Few sandwiches are more comforting than the classic grilled cheese. For many of us, biting into a grilled cheese sandwich is like taking a bite of heaven. It's crisp, warm and gooey — practically irresistible. The quintessential grilled cheese requires a slice or two of cheese between bread and butter, but why limit yourself to the constraints of American cheese on sliced white bread? 

With the right ingredients, grilled cheese can be a flexible and versatile lunch option. Some unique combinations are the Brie and Apple grilled cheese, cauliflower grilled cheese, Mac and Cheese grilled cheese and the Hawaiian grilled cheese. Here are just a couple of inspirational takes on every adult’s childhood favorite. 

Avocado Grilled Cheese

Ingredients: 

• 1 avocado
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp of butter
  • 2 slices of pepper jack cheese

Directions: 

1. In a small bowl, mash avocado with lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat pan to medium heat. Spread butter on the outside of each slice of bread, then spread avocado on the non-buttered side of one slice. Top with cheese and close sandwich.
  3. Place sandwich in pan, then cover and cook until golden brown 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook other side until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown 2 minutes more.
  4. Slice in half and serve

Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese

Ingredients: 

• 1 tsp of extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 1 15-ounce can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 1 cup of shredded Gruyere
  • 4 ounces (1/2 block) of cream cheese, softened
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tbsp of butter
  • 4 slices of bread

Directions:

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant for 1 minute, then add spinach and cook until wilted for 3 minutes more.
  2. Add spinach to a medium bowl with the artichoke hearts, shredded Gruyere and cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper and stir until combined.
  3. Add 1 tbsp of butter to the skillet and let it melt. Butter bread and add two slices to the skillet, then top with the spinach-artichoke mixture and remaining slices of bread.
  4. Cook until it is nicely golden and cheese is melted 2 to 3 minutes then flip it over and cook for 2 minutes more. Serve hot.

Elizabeth Leoce