Per report, John McNulty to be named next offensive coordinator at Rutgers

24549_p11chrisashjeffrey917f

After a lengthy search including candidates from all over the football landscape, Chris Ash has found his next offensive coordinator.

According to a tweet from Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports,  Los Angeles Chargers tight ends coach John McNulty is set to take over the offense on the Banks. 

McNulty returns for his second stint at Rutgers, as he was previously an assistant under Greg Schiano from 2004-08, holding the position of Wide Receivers coach from 2004-05, Wide Receivers coach, Quarterbacks coach and Assistant Offensive Coordinator in 2006 and was the head offensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008.

Under McNulty in 2007, the Knights became the first team in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Mike Teel), and 2,000 yard rusher (Ray Rice) and two 1,000 yard receivers (Tiquan Underwood and Kenny Britt). All four of those players went on to be drafted into the NFL.

After his first stint at Rutgers, McNulty made a career as an NFL assistant. He coached wide receivers for the Arizona Cardinals from 2009-11, then coached their quarterbacks in 2012. He held the same position with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2013 and the Tennessee Titans from 2014-15 before spending the last two seasons with the Chargers coaching tight ends.

McNulty will be tasked with reviving an offense that has been right at the bottom of the NCAA in each of Ash's first two season. While also having the title of Quarterbacks Coach, he will have the works of Giovanni Rescigno, Johnathan Lewis and incoming freshmen Jalen Chatman and Artur Sitkowski to work with.

This marks the 9th offensive coordinator in as many seasons for Rutgers and the expectation is that bringing back McNulty will come with continuity and put an end to that streak.

The details of McNulty's contract are currently unknown, but Ryan Dunleavy of NJ Advance Media reports that is set to be in the same range as former offensive coordinator Jerry Kill, who made $600,000 with a $45,000 bonus in his lone season at the position.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @GriffinWhitmer and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Griffin Whitmer