Black is beautiful: 5 Black-owned businesses you should know

This February celebrates Black History Month, dedicated to showcasing, exploring and exalting the beauty within Black culture. This month is a vital celebration of achievements by Black people and a time for recognizing their central role in the world. Although Black lives overcame historical and cultural battles throughout history, it should not be the only thing to celebrate. Their clothing, skin, hair, music and traditions are something that should be celebrated no matter what month it is. Whether you are looking to learn more about Black culture or if you are just interested in buying a few new things, check out these black-owned businesses and brands worth supporting. 

1. Ashe Hair Co. 

Hair is an essential part of Black history and culture. From tribal styles to dreadlocks and the afro, hair is an integral part of Black identity and is beautifully crafted and styled to one's preference. 

“Not many people know a Black woman became a self-made millionaire selling hair care products in the early 1900s. Better yet, even fewer people know her name was Madam C. J. Walker,” said Joyce Osawe, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year. “There have been so many Black Americans that have greatly influenced American culture and the best way to showcase their achievements is through Black History Month.” 

Up-and-coming hair care brand Ashe Hair Co. is just one of the many Black-owned hair care brands that Walker helped pave the way for. The word “Ashe” comes from the Yoruba language of West Africa, meaning power, command and authority. The mission of this store is to make the best quality hair and beauty enhancements that will make the person wearing it feel strong and confident. This store features wigs, frontals, beauty supplies and more. It can be hard to find hair with textures that blend well with the highest quality, but this store is versatile and takes natural and organic products to enhance your style. 

1. BGLH Marketplace 

Knowing how to take care of your natural hair is a must. After launching hair and beauty blog “Black Girl with Long Hair,” Leila Noelliste decided to open a store that provides the support and products that Black hair might need. Often referred to as “miracle ingredients,” BGLH Marketplace sells products made with shea, mango and cocoa butter, natural ingredients that provide endless health benefits. The online shop sells items that are great for the body and soul, with one popular item being whipped and raw shea butter. Noelliste whips about one metric ton of shea, mango and cocoa butter a year to create the viral sensations that are her products. 

1. Golden Bird Boutique

Black style is a uniquely creative aesthetic that has boldness, power and detail that pours through fabrics. Deeply rooted in its heritage and crafted with symbols, color, shapes and characters, Black clothing carries significant meaning. Golden Bird Boutique is an online destination for vintage-inspired, preloved clothing and accessories for men and women. Its affordable products range from dresses, skirts, jumpsuits, outerwear and menswear. 

1. ADL Interactive 

It’s all fun and games until you actually play. ADL Interactive offers a variety of table top, trading card and electronic games that are all independently self-published. The goal is to provide entertainment through strategy, chance and common interest for all ages. As it started as a small dream and grew into an actual business, this handcrafted game website cures boredom and provides original and unique games perfect for parties and entertaining family and friends.

1. We Buy Black

Amazon is virtually everyone’s go-to destination for online shopping as it’s quick, easy and efficient. Webuyblack.com is like Amazon in that it carries virtually anything you’d ever need, but it’s specific in that it exclusively carries products sold by Black-owned businesses.  Whether you’re looking for homegoods, cosmetics or clothing, We Buy Black has got you covered.

Delta's Restaurant (19 Dennis St.)

Conveniently located right in New Brunswick, Delta's Restaurant serves the best gourmet southern soul food found on the Banks. The menu features traditional fare such as fried chicken and catfish as well as eclectic spins on classics, like the black eyed pea hummus and collard green dip. Open from brunch to dinner, the restaurant regularly adds special additions to their menu and hosts live entertainment. Delta's even has a catering service perfect for any occasion. If you're craving authentic and flavorful southern soul food, Delta's is an ideal destination. 

Black culture is unique and inspiring and is a heritage that should be spotlighted. By supporting these creative and affordable Black-owned businesses, you’re not only getting a great product, but also learning more about the culture. 

Elizabeth Leoce