Murphy announces special council for increasing New Jersey's economic growth

In his 12th executive order over the last six weeks, Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) created the Jobs and Economic Opportunity Council, which is responsible for making recommendations that benefit the state’s economy and create new job opportunities. – Photo by Dimitri Rodriguez

Following through on his promise to bring New Jersey a "stronger and fairer economy," Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) announced the formation of a new panel to stimulate economic growth in the Garden State. 

Yesterday, during a news conference at an International Union of Operating Engineers training site in South Brunswick, Murphy signed an executive order initiating the Jobs and Economic Opportunity Council — tasked with making recommendations that develop the state's economy and improve job opportunities. 

This is Murphy's 12th executive order in six weeks, according to an article from NJ Advance Media

The council is responsible for studying state and national economic trends, recommending new ways the government can stimulate the New Jersey job market, finding ways to fund infrastructure and helping develop new software technologies that assist those looking for work. Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver (D-N.J.) will head the committee, which will include a number of Murphy cabinet officials and advisers, according to the article. 

"The people of New Jersey want us to reject the status quo that's held us back," Murphy said. "They want us to think big and to act big." 

The first recommendation from one of what Murphy called “their strongest transition committees” — the Stronger and Fairer Economy Transition Advisory — called for a separate council that focuses on monitoring New Jersey’s economy, according to a video of Murphy’s announcement.

It is modeled after the National Economic Council — which has advised U.S. presidents for approximately 25 years.

In the months leading to his announcement, New Jersey’s unemployment rates have spiked, passing the national average by nearly an entire percent, according to The Daily Targum. During his time in office, former Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.) reported optimism in the number that at the time seperated New Jersey’s unemployment rate from the national average by one-tenth of a percent. 

"That means our job growth in New Jersey is four times higher than previously estimated for 2016," Christie said. "So all of this previous reporting about New Jersey lagging the rest of the country turns out to be incorrect."

Murphy said that this is just the beginning. He plans on rolling out his first state budget proposal within the next two weeks, which he says will “break from the failed policies of the past." He is expected to deliver his address on March 13, according to the article.