New Brunswick police officer charged with assault after 4 man brawl

copcar-dt-9.17

Anthony Jones, an officer in the New Brunswick Police Department, was charged with third-degree aggravated assault and fourth-degree riot after an altercation between him and three other men at a bar on Easton Avenue. He was off-duty at the time of the incident.

A New Brunswick police officer has been charged with aggravated assault after engaging in a fight with four other men at Golden Rail Tavern on Easton Avenue, according to NJ Advance Media

Anthony Jones, 23, was off-duty when he was involved in a tussle on Jan. 21 at the Irish pub often visited by Rutgers students. He has since been suspended without pay and is being charged with third-degree aggravated assault and fourth-degree riot, according to a My Central Jersey article

Alongside Jones, James Sanders III, 22, of Piscataway, Ryan Marsi, 23, of New Brunswick, Steve Karasoulis, 24, of Edison and Bryan Williams, 22, of North Brunswick will face similar charges. 

Even though he was off-duty, he will still be held to the “highest standards,” said New Brunswick Mayor James Cahill in the article. 

“The accreditation of the New Brunswick Police Department by the New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police acknowledges that our police officers are held to the highest standards," Cahill said. "The alleged behavior, while off-duty, is held to this same standard and fails to conform to the conduct we expect from our officers and in no way represents the core values of the men and women who serve our community each day with the New Brunswick Police Department."

Jones joined the New Brunswick police force in 2014, according to NJ Advance Media. 

The incident is still under investigation. Anyone with new information is asked to call the New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD). 

Erica D'Costa

Erica D'Costa is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in business administration and political science. She is an Associate News Editor @The Daily Targum.