Ash adds 2 more coaches to Rutgers sidelines

Joseph, Robinson make it 5 hires this offseason

ash-declan
Photo by Declan Intindola |

In a surprising move on Thursday, Rutgers football head coach Chris Ash announced the hiring of two more coaches that will be joining the team's sidelines for this upcoming season. 

Former Indiana assistant Noah Joseph was named co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach, while former Temple cornerbacks coach Cory Robinson was given the same job on the Banks, as well as being the team's pass game coordinator.

Ash had previously announced three other coaching hires earlier in the offseason, initially setting his staff at 10 coaches, but it now sits at 12 with the hiring’s of Joseph and Robinson.

First taking a look at Joseph, the new member of the Scarlet Knights’ sideline is no stranger to Big Ten play, having spent the last four years with the Hoosiers. Last season, Indiana ranked fourth in the conference in passing defense, and while in his first season with the team back in 2014, Joseph’s safety unit was responsible for 7 of the Hoosiers 13 interceptions.

“I'd like to welcome Noah and his family to our football program,” Ash said to scarletknights.com. “His extensive experience coaching defensive backs in the Big Ten will be a tremendous asset for our players. He is a great teacher and outstanding recruiter.”

Joseph brings approximately 20 years of coaching experience to Rutgers and is already familiar with Ash, having both worked together on the Iowa State sidelines as an assistant back in 2002, when Ash was a defensive backs coach with the Cyclones.

In total, the Knights will be the eighth team to receive Joseph's services since 2000, when he started as a graduate assistant at Drake — where he also played football and served as team captain in 1998.

Switching to Robinson, Rutgers will be the fourth collegiate program he will work with, having previously started his career as director of football operations, recruiting coordinator and assistant varsity coach at Calvert Hall College High School (CHCHS). 

After five years with CHCHS, he moved over to St. Frances Academy High School to serve as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator for one season, before moving into collegiate football as the director of player personnel with fellow Big Ten member, the Maryland Terrapins, in 2015.

Robinson has since coached cornerbacks at Toledo (in 2016) and Temple (in 2017). His defensive passing unit with the Rockets gave up a solid 220 passing yards per game, while the team as a whole finished as runner-ups for the Mid-Atlantic Conference title. 

Last season with the Owls, Robinson's squad led the American Athletic Conference in passing defense with just 206.8 passing yards per game allowed. 

If anything, he can keep the Knights around where they already stand as passing defenders, having given up 216.8 passing yards per game last season, but expect there to be improvements overall as there are new coaches at the head of multiple units across the team.

“We are excited to have Cory and his family join our program,” Ash said to scarletknights.com. “Cory is a fast rising young coach that will bring tremendous energy and passion to our defense. We look forward to having him develop and mentor our corners.”

Robinson also has experience as a player — as most coaches do — having played cornerback at Central Connecticut State, where he graduated from in 2009.

With 15 spring practices set to begin in March and the coaching staff seemingly at full capacity, Rutgers announced the annual spring Scarlet-White game will be held on April 14 at 3:30 p.m. at High Point Solutions Stadium.

Ash’s third year at the helm of the football team will officially begin on Sept. 1 — before the official start to the school year — against Texas State in the “War Before the Shore” in Piscataway.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @cgreen204 and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Coby Green