March 19, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers captures 2nd place at College Park quad-meet

Knights come from behind to steal 2nd place

Although the Rutgers gymnastics team’s total score went down from last week, it still put on a good show in College Park, Maryland, to take home second-place honors in its quad meet on Sunday. 

It was the host team Maryland who took home the crown with an impressive score of 196.575. After the Scarlet Knights took second with their score of 193.950, it was William and Mary finishing in third place after scoring a 193.650 and Brown finishing in the basement with a 193.325 total score. 

“This team has so much fight in it. We were without a couple of lineup regulars today and everyone stepped up and performed," said head coach Louis Levine. "Our vault lineup really closed out the meet on a high note. There were great individual performances from many, including Micki’s beam and Belle’s vault. Also, Hannah stepped in for the first time and did a great job on floor.”

It was something of a homecoming for freshman Belle Huang, as she returned to the state she grew up in and took full advantage of the familiar surroundings. She led Rutgers and tied for the meet high with a 9.875 vault, a career high. Huang then notched her second score of at least 9.800 of the day, making it 3 out of 5 matches that she has recorded that score.

Also setting a personal career high was freshman Toni Williams with a score of 9.800. Another freshman standout was Sophia Atienza, who chipped in a 9.750. Senior Jenna Rizkalla continued her strong season with yet another notable performance, notching a 9.825.

The first event of the day for the Knights was the uneven bars, where they recorded a 47.725. Junior Michelle Amoresano made her return to the lineup with a solid score of 9.800, tying her career high as well. Sophomore Shannon Farrell continued to impress with a 9.750, which makes it five straight meets where she has notched at least 9.700. 

As for the balance beam, Makenzey Shank earned her second-straight first-place finish with a score of 9.875, which tied her season-high. Sophomore Erin McLachlan added a 9.775, while Farrell notched a 9.700 to bring the team total up to 48.700.

Finally, Rutgers again impressed on the floor, where it scored a 48.600. Rizkalla led the event with a 9.775, with Huang following close behind with a 9.750. Williams and Farrell both contributed nicely with a 9.725 and 9.675, respectively. Freshman Hannah Prieto put up a 9.675 in her first collegiate event. 

After back-to-back second-place finishes, the Knights look to continue their good run against Auburn this Friday at the Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC). It will be just a two-team head to head match up and will begin at 8 p.m.

For updates on the Rutgers gymnastics team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Stephan Zatz