June 18, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers prepares for Big Ten Championships in Ohio

Multiple Knights looking to break personal records at event

site only saunders

The Rutgers women’s indoor track and field team has its biggest meet of the season this week, as it heads to Geneva, Ohio for the Big Ten Championships. 

The meet will come after a two-week hiatus for most of the team, although some members of the team did compete at the Princeton Invitational last week. 

The Scarlet Knights will certainly hope to continue the momentum they have built up the last few weeks into the Championship Weekend. 

Rutgers has had three meets over the past two weeks, including the Princeton Invite, the SPIRE Institute Invitational and the David Hemery Valentine’s Invitational, and the Knights have had varying degrees of success at all three meets. 

At the very least, Rutgers hopes to have a performance that was as strong as its performance last year at the conference championship. 

At the Big Ten Indoor Championships last year, the Knights had eight season-best performances as a team to go along with two top-10 finishes and new personal records for three members of the team. 

Then-senior Bryanna Grant set a personal record in the triple jump during the conference championship last year. 

After collecting three triple-jump titles throughout the season last year, Grant had a phenomenal performance during conference championship week, setting a career-best in the event while placing in the top 10 of the event as well. She reached a distance of 12.42 meters, beating her previous record of 12.36 meters.

Meanwhile, fellow senior Sarah Robbie had her own personal best in the 800-meter broken as well, when she crossed the finish line with a mark of 2:10.34, surpassing her previous time of 2:11.28. 

The last Rutgers team member to capture a new personal record at the Big Ten Championships last year — and the only one still on the team this year — is senior Bria Saunders. The then-junior broke her personal record in the 60-meter, while placing 14th in the event by finishing with a time of 7.53. 

The team will look to have an even better performance than it did last season, with more personal records being broken and more top-ten finishes in the events. 

The Big Ten Indoor Championships will be held on Friday, Feb. 23 and Saturday, Feb. 24, with events being held all day.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Ian Quinn