After V-Day, Singles Awareness Day calls for self-love

heart

If you hate the over-commercialized holiday known as Valentine’s Day that's designed to sell candies, cards, teddy bears and watch Garry Marshall movies on repeat, then you're probably single right now. Luckily, the day after V-Day is commonly recognized as Singles Awareness Day. Although the acronym is ironic — S.A.D. — don’t let the name fool you. The point of Singles Awareness Day isn’t to mope about being bae-less or to hate on others who are happily in relationships. In fact, the day is all about practicing self-love and announcing to the world that you are single and happy. 

If you’re not single this year, you’ve probably been single at some point in your life. We forget that being alone isn’t such a bad thing — in fact, sometimes it takes being in a relationship to realize that its not always lovey-dovey, and you don’t necessarily need someone else to be happy. Singles Awareness Day can be designated to spend time with family, friends or yourself, and it’s a good way to sit back and reflect on the importance of independence, especially during college when we’re in such a crucial growing period.

We all know the cliché phrase, “If you don’t love yourself, who will?” But in terms of Singles Awareness Day, it’s totally true. You don't need to be single in order to celebrate this somewhat humorous holiday. It is important to acknowledge yourself even if you are in a relationship: self-love is one of the most important types of love out there, and is necessary in order to have a healthy relationship with someone else. There are a number of benefits to being single, from saving money that would be spent on a date to having more free time for yourself. Singles tend to be more self-aware and unattached. Singles can come and go places as they please without relying on their partner’s schedule to shape their day. It’s also easier to be productive throughout the day, especially in a college environment where students already have a number of obligations to tackle in one day. It is important to remind yourself that you don’t need to be in a relationship to celebrate life, and that is the key to being happy with yourself whether you are alone or with a partner. 

In 2014, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that single people over the age of 16 made up 50.2 percent of the country's population, so naturally, the extremely ironic millennial anti-Valentine’s Day is becoming more popular. Younger generations are choosing to live solo, stay single to focus on self-development, cohabitate and marry much later, or not at all. It’s believed that National Singles Day in the States was inspired by China’s Singles Day in the 90s, founded by a group of college students who introduced retail sales exclusively for single people. China’s Singles Day is celebrated on Nov. 11 known as “Double 11” or “11/11 Shopping Festival” — just like the U.S.’s Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but bigger. Singles Awareness Day is growing around the world because the recognition of self-love is becoming more and more important. So for this S.A.D. day, don’t let the romantic February season depress you. Instead, take the opportunity to treat yourself.

Rebecca Hanna