WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | February 16, 2017

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.46.54 PM

AVOID ANXIETY

Students spend an enormous amount of time sitting on buses going to and from class. Additionally, many introverted students often do not feel comfortable speaking publicly, and as a result decide not to participate in class to the extent that they need to for full credit. Ian Dunham, a doctoral student in the School of Arts and Sciences, said that online courses can significantly benefit students with social anxieties among other things, such as issues with verbal fluency. Student lives can be stressful. We laurel the availability of online courses for their many beneficial factors to students. 

STOP THE TRAGEDIES

Yesterday, 17 young lives were taken at Parkland High School in Florida. Law enforcement sources said that the suspect, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, used a .223 caliber, AR-15 style gun. Since 2013, there have been nearly 300 school shootings in America — an average of about one a week. It is clear that this nation is in need of some sort of serious progress and change regarding the way we address mental health issues as it relates to acquiring guns. We dart the fact that young students today are subject so often to these horrific tragedies. 

RESPECTABLE RETENTION RATE

Despite the seemingly never ending list of complaints from students — probably mostly involving buses — there’s a reason we’re all still here. Rutgers is a great place, and in fact, according to U.S. News & world Report’s list of considerations for the best schools in the nation, Rutgers—New Brunswick has a retention rate of 92 percent for beginning students, which is above the national average. Despite our high retention rate, the University continues to work to improve these rates and mitigate student withdrawals. We laurel the University for its many efforts to make student life easier and in turn retain us.  

SOCIETAL NECESSITIES 

On Monday Tarana Burke, the founder of #MeToo, came to Rutgers and gave a 2-hour presentation to a group of more than 900. Formed in 2007, Burke’s organization supports victims of sexual assault and harassment and aims to let them know that they are not alone. In addition to Burke’s talk, a series of student performances took place, including a poetry reading and stories from sexual assault survivors. While we commend Burke and her movement for opening dialogue concerning these issues that so badly need to be talked about, we dart the need for such huge effort and change with regard to what seems like such an obvious and recurring problem in society. 

CAPS CARES

Recently, the Center for Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) celebrated the one-year anniversary of its “meso practice” model, which is a program aimed at expanding awareness of mental health issues at Rutgers. The program is community based and allows for a more inclusive, more diversified approach to mental health and wellness. One successful aspect of the initiative is “Let’s Talk, which is an informal drop-in type therapy session. Hundreds of these meetings have been held in the past year. We hope this progress continues and expands, and we laurel CAPS for their success in aiding students who need help with their mental health. 

SUB-PAR SAVINGS

Alexandre Hohmann, a professor in the Department of Economics, said that the national savings rate currently sits at its lowest since the Great Recession of 2008 and 2009. This extremely low rate applies significantly to students — specifically millennials — who have a 2.4-percent national savings rate. According to GOBankingRates, of people between the ages of 18 and 24 years old, 21 percent had less than $1,000 in their savings accounts in 2017, and 46 percent have $0 in 2017. But these issues do not simply arise as bad habits — they stem from another cause. Students simply do not make enough money and in turn often live paycheck to paycheck. We dart the fact that education costs so much that students must live in poverty.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________