Skip Sephora, still shine with quality drugstore products

maybelline-facebook
Photo by Facebook |

We always want what we can’t have, especially after a trip to Sephora. It’s easy to spend a fortune on just a few things at upscale beauty supply stores — actually, it’s almost inevitable. In this hyper-digital age where beauty gurus and social media influencers dominate trends and basically only promote luxury beauty products, the makeup section at CVS has especially been slept on. In fact, many products you’ll find at the drugstore are made with the same ingredients and have the same properties as their fancy counterparts — it just takes a little trial and error to find the diamonds in the rough. If you’re running low on your usual silky face cleanser or $30 mascara but hear your wallet crying for help in the background, take a chance with these underrated drugstore beauty products. 

e.l.f. Flawless Face Brush ($6)

High-quality makeup brushes are an investment, and because of their hefty prices, they are notorious for being more of a luxury than a staple. It might not be comparable to MAC Cosmetics, but e.l.f. Cosmetics is one of the few drugstore brands many beauty gurus swear by. Most of its products are less than $10 and 100 percent vegan, which makes this affordable brand even more appealing. Over the years, e.l.f. has expanded its product line and increased the quality of its products to make customers come back for more. This product along with the rest of the line can be found at Target and Ulta stores. You can also get the entire brush collection for only $30 at Ulta, which is a steal compared to some brushes that start at $30 a pop at Sephora.

Gigi Hadid Makeup Collection for Maybelline ($10-$15)

Whether you want a subtle chic look or a bronzy SoCal glow, supermodel Gigi Hadid’s newest collaboration with Maybelline will give you the best of both worlds. The East Coast Glam collection includes fierce lipsticks, an eyeshadow palette and a mascara to give you a quintessential NYC cat-eye. If you want a bolder look, the West Coast Glow edition comes with an eyeshadow palette featuring warm hues and some red lipsticks that are appropriate for a walk along the beach or the runway. At Ulta, the mascara is around $12.99, and the palettes are approximately $14.99, making it easy to get the celebrity look for a great price. 

Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer ($14.99)

Crafted with care, this makeup brand is best known for its dedication to "healthy beauty." What makes this brand a drug store favorite is that it’s hypoallergenic, safe for sensitive skin and eyes and created without any of the known harsh ingredients found in other personal care items. The bronzers are best-sellers, including the latest Butter Bronzer, which goes for $14.99 at Ulta. Compared to Sephora bronzers that range from $20 to $40, this product is definitely a steal. 

Bioré Deep Cleansing Charcoal Pore Strips ($5.64)

When it comes to beating stubborn dirt and oil, the most popular beauty trend right now are pore strips, and Bioré products are the reigning remedy for clogged pores. With their scrubs, powders, strips, masks and bar cleansing products, spending a fortune on a facial or GLAMGLOW mask is simply unnecessary. You can find these almost anywhere, especially at drugstores like Walmart, for $5.64, and CVS. The pore strips are easy to use and provide great results that leave your skin clean and smooth. 

SheaMoisture – Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque ($11.99) 

If you often find your hair damaged and in need of heavy moisture, this brand is sure to help support your roots and scalp. SheaMoisture prides itself on being a sulfate-free, paraben-free and natural-organic company. This masque in particular is great for moisturizing and conditioning dry, damaged hair. You can find this product at many drugstores, including Bed Bath & Beyond in the beauty section.

Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo ($4.99)

If you are busy and running late to class, you typically don’t have time to wash and dry your hair in the morning. It can also be a very arduous process full of waiting and styling, and washing your hair too often is damaging, which is why the invention of dry shampoo has been a game changer. Suave’s dry shampoo leaves no residue and revives hair without damaging it. The product also leaves your hair smooth and manageable, making it look like you just came out of a salon. 

Next time you are looking for new makeup and beauty products, yet you are on a tight budget, these drugstore essentials are right in reach and will not let you down. Although you are not using Dior or MAC, you can still easily obtain the runway look with these affordable products. 

Elizabeth Leoce