Rutgers looks to snap losing streak Tuesday

p11-sharp-garrett-2.18
Photo by Garrett Steffe |

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team looks to break its four-game losing streak when it hosts Niagara University this Tuesday night at High Point Solutions Stadium at 7 p.m.

The Scarlet Knights (4-6, 0-2) have been struggling since Big Ten play started over a week ago, but they will have a chance to regain their early season form with a non-conference game against the Purple Eagles (4-5, 1-0). Rutgers started the season 4-2 over the first six games, and since then have failed to regain its winning ways.

Both teams have been streaky this season, having both gone on three-game winning streaks and at least four-game losing streaks. The Knights are on their season-long four-game losing streak, but hope to repeat what happened last year with a convincing win against the Eagles.

Rutgers beat Niagara last season by a score of 18-8, and a key contributor of last year’s win is returning for the Knights this year. Senior attacker and captain Kerri Puckhaber helped with a 5-point game, and junior attacker Abbey Brooks added a hat trick, as well.

This year, Rutgers will continue to rely on Puckhaber, who is currently leading the team with 27 points in just nine games. She also has 11 points in her last three games, doing her best to keep the Knights in games.

An unsung hero for Rutgers has been junior defender Regina Sharp, who has registered 1 goal and one assist on two shots this season. 

But, Sharp does most of her damage on the defensive end, wreaking havoc all over the field. She is leading the team with 22 ground balls picked up and causing a team-high 16 turnovers.

The Knights are coming off of a close game against Ohio State, where it was tied 8-8 in the last 20 minutes of the game. Senior midfielder Paige Paratore led Rutgers with a hat trick and three ground balls to keep them competitive throughout. 

In the game, junior defender and captain Christine DiLullo had a career-high six ground balls and now has 17 on the season. 

DiLullo has started every game this season, after redshirting last year due to injury. She has been a stalwart in the starting lineup for the Knights during her career, as she was healthy the three years prior to last season.

Junior goalkeeper Devon Kearns played the entire 60 minutes against the Buckeyes, ending with 15 saves on 27 shots. Kearns has started 9 of the 10 games this season, and is currently 4-5 on the season. 

For updates in the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Scott Brennan