WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | March 30, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.46.54 PM

LOVE FOR MEN’S LAX

Before the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team did so well last season, it had been 22 years before any Rutgers sports team had achieved a No. 1 ranking. Right now, men’s lacrosse ranks No. 9, and they have already beaten Syracuse — currently ranked No. 10. On Sunday, the Scarlet Knights will face off against No. 6 Johns Hopkins at home, where we play the best — and we have faith in our team. We laurel men’s lacrosse for showing the rest of the country what Rutgers is made of. 

GENTRIFICATION IS QUESTIONABLE

New Brunswick is becoming an increasingly gentrified city. There are certain positive and negative aspects to gentrification, but such rapid development usually results in rather unfortunate consequences for people of low income. If gentrification continues in New Brunswick at its current rate, we may see many families in the city’s community be forced to relocate to a more affordable area. Additionally, off-campus housing could become more expensive for Rutgers students. We dart the fact that gentrification so often entails displacement and an increase in the cost of living. 

LEGAL WEED 

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) is pro-legalization of marijuana, and has already announced that doctors can advise their patients on its use for medicinal purposes. The full-out legalization of marijuana for recreational use is seemingly inevitable at this point, and we believe that with its legalization will come more positive effects than negative ones. We laurel the imminent legalization of marijuana for its potential to help those struggling with chronic pain and illnesses, for its ability to garner enormous sums of money in tax revenue for public projects and for the decrease in crime rates that will subsequently occur. 

WHITE SUPREMACY

Flyers from a white supremacy group were found on Rutgers’ campuses once again last week. The flyers came from Identity Evropa, which, according to its website, is “a fraternal organization for people of European heritage located in the United States.” On the face, that does not necessarily sound like white supremacy, but last semester flyers were found with the phrase “Our Generation, Our Future, Our Last Chance,” which had the Identity Evropa’s name bolded at the bottom. We dart the recurring appearance of white supremacy flyers on campus, which serve to divide our community and bring unnecessary hate to our campus.

TREMENDOUS TURNOUT 

The One Rutgers ticket has won the preliminary Rutgers University Student Assembly Spring 2018 election. This year, more than 7,000 students voted — a 50-percent increase from what the voter turnout was last year. The potentially-winning ticket received more than 2,000 votes. As can go without mentioning, voter turnout and civic engagement are very important, and it is heartening to see these numbers increasing so drastically. We laurel the fact that so many students care enough about change to vote. 

DOUBLE STANDARD 

On American Idol, Judge Katy Perry showed the world how far we still have to go with regard to mitigating sexual violence and harassment for all people. More than once, Perry behaved rather inappropriately to male contestants on the show, even kissing one on the lips despite his saying, “no” multiple times. While many no doubt saw these situations as light-hearted and funny, Perry’s actions show that there exists some sort of double standard, where women who make uncalled for sexual advances on men are brushed off, but men see severe consequences. In reality, anyone who makes such advances should see scrutiny. We dart Katy Perry and the fact that this double standard exists. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________