Rutgers wins 2018 Outdoor Metropolitan Championships

p13-pierre-tom-4.18
Photo by Thomas Boniello |

Claiming seven event titles and 10 top-three finishes, the Rutgers men’s track and field team climbed to the top of the rankings to capture the team title at the 2018 Outdoor Metropolitan Championships — which the team hosted. 

The Scarlet Knights also sent a small contingent of four runners to compete in Knoxville, Tennessee at the Tennessee Relays.

The trio of graduate student Matthew Krezmer, sophomore Michael Thomas and classmate Greg Harnett were above the rest of the competitors to take the top three spots in the javelin throw. 

Krezmer led the way with a throw of 64.07 meters (210’ 2”) for first place, followed behind runner-up finisher Thomas with a personal best throw of 61.25 meters (200’ 11”). Harnett rounded up Rutgers in third, setting a mark of 60.82 meters (199’ 6”).

“We’re just trying to get better as the season goes on, which we’re all doing, we’re all where we want to be right now. We’re still waiting to hit our big throws, but we don’t want to peek early this year. We’re trying to peek on at Big Tens and regionals so we can go hit those national marks and make nationals and USA’s and whatever after that,” Krezmer said. 

Afterwards, the Knights’ jumper trio went another 1-2-3 in the long jump. Sophomore Tobi Tella led Rutgers with a 7.49 meters (24’ 7”) mark for the event title. Freshman Malachi Davis set a personal record jump of 7.17 meters (23’ 6.25”) for second, followed by junior Jairus Paul in a leap of 7.12 meters (23’ 4.50”).

Tella and Paul came back in the triple jump to finish second (14.47 meters, 47’ 5.75”) and fifth (13.96 meters, 45’ 9.75”), respectively. Freshman Ja’Quan Mial placed in between the two jumpers for third place with a mark of 14.19 meters (46’ 6.75”).

On the track, freshman Patrick Walsh and classmate Edwyn Pierre notched individual event titles. Walsh ran 34:06.69 in the 10,000 meter for first place, while Pierre ran the 110-meter hurdles in a time of 14.81 seconds. 

“I was just really looking to go based off comfort. I went a little bit earlier than I expected, but I just wanted to hold the pace as long as I possibly can. The main goal is to score points for the team. Overall, we’ve had a really productive year as a team, as a whole," Walsh said. 

In the 800 meter, sophomore Jason Schweizer led a pack of four Knights with a PR run of 1:53.72. Sophomores Sean Martinek (1:53.96) and Jared Skalski (1:54.50), as well as freshman Eric Barnes (1:54.55), crossed the line in respective finishes of third, fourth and fifth behind Schweizer in the 800 meter.

On the field, graduate student Rudy Winkler threw down the hammer to 71.59 meters (234’ 10”) for the hammer throw title. 

“Feeling a lot better than I have and doing a lot of things really well. I’m consistently over 71 meters pretty easily so I can’t complain, although I’d like to throw further. I feel like I’m in shape and can throw much further,”  said Winkler.

In the high jump, sophomore Perry Christie launched more than the 2.02 meters mark (6’ 7.50”) to tie for the runner-up spot and junior Jordan Lorenzo leaped more than 1.97 meters (6’ 5.50”) for third in the event.

Other top-three finishers for Rutgers came from juniors John Mooers and Izaiah Brown. Mooers competed in the discus throw, notching the runner-up spot in a mark of 51.91 meters (170’4). On the other hand, Brown added another runner-up finish for the Knights in the 400 meter with a time of 47.65 seconds.

Down in Tennessee, freshman Taj Burgess notched the 400-meter title in a time of 46.23, adding to a seventh-place finish in the 200 meter (20.92). Additionally, classmate Boaz Madeus logged a time of 52.26 in the 400-meter hurdles for third.

Next up, Rutgers will be splitting up again to compete at the Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, New Jersey or Virginia Challenge in Charlottesville, Virginia from April 20-21.

For updates on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba