Rutgers falls to No. 2 Maryland, 14-6

back-paratore-dan
Photo by Daniel Morreale |

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team took a lead in the first half of its eventual loss to Maryland, 14-6, for 47 seconds in the first half.

Other than that lead, the Scarlet Knights (6-8, 0-3) did not create enough offense to combat the all-around dominant No. 2 Terrapins (12-1, 3-0). 

Rutgers scored the first goal of the game in the third minute and then allowed Maryland to score 3 goals in a row to take a 3-1 lead that it would not give up for the rest of the game. 

Three of the next 5 goals were scored by the Knights, leading to a 5-4 advantage for the Terrapins in the 15th minute. Senior midfielder Paige Paratore scored 2 goals in the first 15 minutes, being the catalyst needed for the Rutgers offense for the first half.

Maryland went on a 4-goal run to end the first half, expanding its lead to 9-4. Its attack ran through Megan Whittle, who had 2 goals, and Brindi Griffin, who had 2 goals and two assists.

The second half was a defensive battle for both sides, as there were only 7 goals total, but the Knights were held to only 2. 

The Terrapins opened up with a 2-goal run to stretch their lead to 11-4. Rutgers retaliated by scoring 2 of the next 3 goals, which spanned over a 17-minute period. Sophomore midfielder Samantha Budd and fifth-year senior attacker Nicole Kopyta both scored solo goals, but it was not enough to claw back into the game.

Finally, Maryland ended the game on a 2-goal stretch in the last 2 minutes to keep the Knights winless in the Big Ten. 

Rutgers can pull some positives out of the game, like its defense holding the Terrapins to 14 goals when their season average is hovering approximately 16 per game. Also, the Knights did not commit many turnovers, beating Maryland 12-13 in lost turnovers.

Junior goalkeeper Devon Kearns had the difficult task of stopping the Terrapins attack, and she had 11 saves, which is her third-highest total of the season.

Next game, Rutgers will host Michigan on Thursday at High Point Solutions Stadium, which could potentially be a must-win game in order to save its conference record.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Scott Brennan