Warm up your makeup routine with fresh spring beauty looks

The process of cultivating a daily makeup routine that works best for your face can take several rounds of trial and error until the look finally feels just right. Once this signature look is accomplished, we get scared to branch out and change even a small aspect of our routine in order to test out newer beauty trends and products. Trying out these new trends could not only be a fun way to play around with a variety of makeup products but could also add a unique step if incorporated into an everyday routine. This spring’s latest makeup trends and product launches can help someone break out of a beauty rut and add some excitement to their daily look.

“We are definitely going to continue seeing yellow everywhere, especially in eyeshadows. Bright fuchsia’s will also be poppin’ once the weather starts warming up,” Grace Zhao said, a Rutgers Business School senior and writer and treasurer for the online women’s magazine Her Campus.

Two eyeshadow techniques involving bright and shimmering colors are taking over cut creasing as a beauty staple. Thankfully, these new trends are not as time consuming as tracing out and blending several shades to create the illusion of a larger eyelid. Bursts of color and metallic shimmers were among the trendiest beauty looks seen throughout New York Fashion Week’s (NYFW) top designer runways. A single shade of any vibrant color, such as turquoise, sunny yellow or violet, can be swept over the lids to add a pop of color to one’s routine. The eyeshadow could be left alone after application for an avant-garde look or blended out with a neutral shadow for a softer finish. Another technique for wearing these eye-catching colors is to line the bottom lash-line with a bold color for a flipped liner look. A brightly colored matte eyeshadow could be blended across the lower lash-line instead for a smudged look.

For shimmery or glittery shades that are typically used to accentuate the lid or brighten up the inner corner, the technique of applying a single shade to the lid can also be used to alter one’s traditional makeup routine. The shades can either be applied precisely along the eyelid or be blended out into the crease and even brow bone, depending on the desired effect. For bright colored shadows, try the drugstore priced brand Colourpop’s recently released Loose Pigments or fan favorite Super Shock Shadows. Stila’s Liquid Eyeshadow comes in a variety of glittering shades for a pigmented metallic finish, while Glossier’s newly launched Lidstar provides a subtle hint of shimmer.

“Matte lips will always be around, but glosses, especially this spring, will be prevalent,” Zhao said, who plans on wearing more lip gloss throughout the spring.

Nude lip glosses rarely go out of style, but this season brighter tones ranging from vibrant coral to berry pink are also trending. Urban Decay’s Hi-Fi Shine Ultra Cushion lip glosses come in 20 shades, including nudes, pinks and glittery metallics. Several brands are also releasing new lines of lip oils, which according to Allure are the combination of a gloss and balm. Lip oils can provide the same amount of saturated color as a lip gloss without the stickiness and feel as moisturizing as a lip balm. NYX Professional Makeup’s Slip Tease Full Color Lip Oil comes in a mixture of 12 vibrant and nude shades.

As for the skin, a glowing complexion is both trendy and practical for the upcoming warmer months, since a full-coverage face can occasionally melt away on hot days or if not primed before application. To achieve a fresh and dewy look, try swapping out a go-to fuller coverage foundation for a tinted moisturizer, which provides a minimal base and serves as a skincare benefit. For those wishing for a stronger coverage yet not wanting a heavy feel, pair with a lightweight yet full coverage concealer, such as the KKW Liquid Concealer from Kim Kardashian-West’s line. Colourpop’s No Filter concealers are also a less pricey alternative providing full coverage.

“If you’ve been sleeping on Colourpop, you need to learn and get on it now. They do all types of lip colors and eye products, and recently they’ve expanded into concealers. They are an affordable one-stop shop,” Zhao said.

A potential new trend this season could be liquid highlighter, which amplifies a traditional glow. This form of highlighter can be extended from the face and applied to other parts of the body. The April 6 release of Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty Body Lava, a luminous all-over highlighter, could take highlighting techniques to the next level.

Cassidy Smedley