August 16, 2018 | ° F

Body of graduate student found on Rutgers campus

Police_Line_Crime_Scene_2498847226
Photo by Wikimedia Commons |

Police are investigating the body of a Rutgers graduate student found on Busch campus. The man has not been identified, the cause of death awaits the results of an autopsy.  

Authorities are investigating the death of a Rutgers graduate student who was found outdoors on Busch campus early this morning, according to University Spokesperson Dory Devlin. 

"The deceased was a graduate student and member of our community. While the investigation is ongoing and the cause of death is yet to be determined, no foul play is suspected," Devlin said in a statement to The Daily Targum. 

The man has not been identified by the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office, and no information regarding the time and place of death has been released. 

The cause of death is pending the results of an autopsy by the Middlesex County Medical Examiner but does not appear to be suspicious at this time, according to a press release from the office.

The investigation remains active, and anyone with information is asked to call Detective Michelle Bolognini of the Rutgers University Police Department at 848-932 -4842, or Detective David Abromaitis of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office at 732-745-4436. 

"The University extends its sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the decedent," Devlin said. “Our thoughts and prayers remain with them."

UPDATE: The student has been identified as Akash S. Taneja, a graduate student in the School of Graduate Studies and Department of Medicinal Chemistry, according to an email from University Chancellor Debasish Dutta. 

He added that the student died early this morning and the circumstances of his death are still under investigation at this time. 

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is an Associate News Editor @ The Daily Targum.