Rutgers president adds 2 years to his tenure

front-Barchi-Declan-2.18
Photo by Declan Intindola |

During his six years as president, Robert L. Barchi has been involved with developing the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences Division, pursuing the RWJBarnabas Health partnership and increasing undergraduate enrollment by more than 10 percent.

Rutgers President Robert L. Barchi will renew his position as Rutgers president for at least two more years.

Barchi accepted the Board of Governor’s request to stay on as president at yesterday's board meeting, according to Rutgers Today.  

A University spokesperson said that the Executive Committee, on behalf of the Board, made the request in September. The discussion about staying on as president was part of an annual review following the end of the fiscal year last year around June 30.

“(Robert) Bob Barchi has been a remarkable leader for Rutgers,” said Sandy J. Stewart, chair of the University’s Board of Governors. “His vision, focus and commitment have made Rutgers a much stronger university and a stronger asset to the state of New Jersey. The integration with the former University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey would have been cause for reflection for most people, but Dr. Barchi continued his efforts, raised Rutgers’ academic profile and improved our reputation both nationally and in New Jersey. He accomplished this while guiding the University and its students through some difficult times in our nation.”

Barchi is Rutgers' 20th president and was first appointed in 2012, according to Rutgers.edu

He led the development of the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences division in 2013. Five years later, he contributed to the partnership between this division and RWJBarnabas Health, according to Rutgers Today. 

Undergraduate enrollment has increased by more than 10 percent since Barchi’s tenure. 

He helped to develop a universitywide strategic plan as well as a physical master plan that aligned with it. The plan was approved by the Board of Governors in 2014 and expressed a bold vision and strategy for the University. Barchi also launched the Honors College, according to Rutgers Today.  

His work advocating for a New Jersey bond referendum for construction in higher education has led to more than $2 billion in changes in academic and student-service facilities at the University. 

“Leading Rutgers has presented challenges both large and small. Together with a gifted faculty, a vibrant student body, a massive alumni association and a deeply talented and committed staff, we’ve met those challenges and discovered new opportunities,” he said. “I’m looking forward to making even more progress and achieving even greater things in the coming years.”

Claire Lacy

lacy.j.claire@gmail.com

Claire Lacy is a School of Arts and Sciences junior, she is an intern @ The Daily Targum.