Rutgers to replace convenience stores with e-gaming center, multipurpose room

The student convenience stores, once located at the Livingston and Busch Student Centers and at the Student Activities Center, have been removed pending further review by the University.  – Photo by Rutgers.edu

The convenience stores in the Livingston Student Center, Student Activities Center and Busch Student Center closed over the summer following a change in ownership of the spaces, and the future uses of these locations are currently under review by the University.

Future plans include a multipurpose room for the Livingston Student Center and LAN Center — a room of gaming systems or computers sharing a localized network for the purpose of playing multiplayer games — for the Busch Student Center, said Rutgers spokesperson Neal Buccino in a statement. 

Plans for the space in the Student Activities Center are still under review.

Buccino said the spaces were previously operated and occupied by Barnes & Noble, but are now being operated by the University. Specifically, the Division of Student Affairs is making plans for the future uses of these spots.

All Barnes & Noble operations have now been consolidated to the main bookstore on Somerset Street, he said.

No timeline for when these spaces will be operational again was provided at the time of publication.

Current related store options on and around campus include At Your Doorstep located off of the College Avenue campus at 99 Hamilton St., Kilmer’s Market on Livingston campus and Park Convenience located at 53 Commercial Ave. by the Rutgers Public Safety Building, among others.

Editor's Note: This article has been updated to better reflect the purpose of new additions to the University's now vacant spaces.