Get cheaper subscriptions, clothes with student discounts

insidebeat-studentdiscount-ethan
Photo by Ethan Kan |

College is one of the most important — and most expensive — investments a student will make. Aside from the negative impacts of college, such as student debt, there are many great perks of being a consumer as a student. Most college attendees may not know that just by having a valid student ID and email, they have access to amazing discounts offered through retailers exclusively for students. These discounts are perfect for someone looking to get the most out of their money, because after all, you are paying for it. 

Clothing

For those of you that have expensive taste but don’t have the bank account to match, the struggle to dress well can get very real. Luckily, Topman — Topshop’s menswear branch — offers a 10 percent student discount just by entering your school, graduation date, netID and password to verify your attendance. By registering to get your student bean code you’ll unlock year-round savings of 20 percent off your entire purchase at Topshop in stores and online. 

By registering with Unidays, another site that requires school verification status, students are able to receive a 20 percent discount at American Eagle Outfitters online and in-stores by verifying your student status. A 30 percent discount on your entire purchase when you check out at PrettyLittleThing is also available through Unidays. Colder weather is coming, which gives you an excuse to stock up on high-quality boots. Registering with unidays also gets 15 percent off your purchase at Dr. Martens. What a steal. 

Asos, a popular online shopping site for its affordable prices and wide variety of styles and brands, makes getting a discount on your purchases easy. All you have to do is register online by entering your school information, which includes a valid school email, you’ll receive 10 percent off every time. Missguided, another trendy online store, offers 30 percent of to US students simply by registering. 

How many of us can relate to holding off on an online order because of a shipping fee that makes the purchase seem just that much more expensive? Adidas has us covered, as students can obtain 15 percent off plus free shipping when you verify your current student status. 

Technology

Student music lovers can log into Apple’s school portal via Apple Music to verify their student status and receive half-off Apple’s monthly subscription of $9.99. They will even allow new users to try the subscription for free for a limited time. 

Spotify also offers a student discount, only charging $.99 for the first three months, then half-off, $4.99 a month, from the usual $9.99 just by submitting a recent transcript and verifying your student status every academic year--offer last for 12 months. 

For $9.99 a month, Adobe gives students access to some of their most popular softwares such as Lightroom and Photoshop. But if you are looking for more advanced features they offer an upgrade for $19.99, which is usually $49.99 a month, for 20-plus applications. 

Google Docs is free and easy to use, but nothing beats the original Microsoft document creating softwares. With a valid student email you get free Microsoft Office 365, a package that includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Onenote. Students even have access to 10 percent off on Windows devices

Newspaper Subscriptions

With most of the major news publications now having an online presence and digital platform, you have no excuse to not read the paper — especially with all of the great student discounts they offer. 

Rutgers is among many other universities in the country that have partnered with The Wall Street Journal to offer students access to a complimentary subscription. Students also can get their daily fix of the The New York Times, with a valid student email, students pay $4 a month instead of the usual fee of $3.75 a week, and $5 for faculty for 12 weeks, $1.88 a week after. 

The Washington Post offers a free digital subscription to anyone with a valid .edu email address, which is offered on all platforms, consisting of tablets, laptops and cell phone devices. 

Entertainment

Amazon Prime offers first time users a six month free trial, then 50 percent off thereafter for a yearly membership fee of $59 or $6.49 a month. The membership consists of free two-day shipping, unlimited photo storage with prime photos and prime video streaming. The best part is that this is available for anyone with an active .edu email. 

You can also receive a free HBO Go subscription when you enter your student username and password. 

Cell Phone

For those of us who are too old to be on our parent’s cell phone plan, AT&T Wireless offers a 10 percent discount when you input your .edu email, available to qualifying participants. 

Sprint Wireless offers month-to-month savings from 10 to 15 percent with a student email. 

T-Mobile Wireless offers a 10 percent discount on your monthly bill when you visit studentrate.com, and  Verizon Wireless offers up to 15 percent off of your smartphone access fee and an online accessory discount of 25 percent. You simply have to enter your student email to see if you qualify. 

Besides getting a degree at the end of the road, being a student also pays off in small, materialistic ways. After taking advantage of these student discounts, you'll want to be in college forever. 

Almier McCoy