April 18, 2019 | 60° F

KEVETT: Battlefield V gives positive first impression for good reason

Opinions Column: Gamer Next Door

Battlefield V is finally out for PS4, Xbox One and PC and I am loving it so far. In the best way possible, the game feels like older Battlefield series entries. With large-scale battles, team/objective-based gameplay and long matches, the series’ core gameplay formula remains largely the same. The new multiplayer maps boast interesting layouts. Take Twisted Steel, for example, a map centered around a broken bridge with cottages on surrounding hillsides. Battlefield V is familiar, enjoyable and gorgeous.

The multiplayer gameplay will feel extremely familiar to Battlefield series veterans. Players are grouped into squads of four, and the option is available to spawn on squad-mates who are out in the map. There are four major classes: recon, medic, support and assault. Recon players generally spot and snipe enemies from afar, medics can heal teammates and revive fallen comrades, support players can carry light machine guns and distribute ammunition and assault players can move quickly with high-damage weapons. Returning favorite game modes like Conquest and Grand Operations are in Battlefield V as well. In Conquest, players are tasked with capturing and holding a set of points which are spread out across the map. Grand Operations is more akin to a traditional point attack/defense game mode, and the mode has matches which span multiple maps or battles.

Gunplay in Battlefield V is the best the series has had since Battlefield 3. Guns actually have recoil patterns, making the gameplay skill-based, as opposed to how Battlefield 1 consisted of randomized bullet spray patterns. The signature Battlefield gameplay components, like the squad-play,  fit into this game as well as they fit into previous entries in the series. There are only eight multiplayer maps currently, but each one is expansive and diverse. Vehicles are very well done, complete with bulky handling and a true-to-era appearance. Flying around as a tail gunner in a bomber was particularly enjoyable. Fending off enemy fighters while a pilot dropped bombs on various objective sites was enthralling and intense. Like in Battlefield 1, smoke grenades actually obscure your vision, and they are very useful when attacking objectives. Overall, the gameplay feels balanced, frantic and fun above all else.

The graphics and presentation in Battlefield V are absolutely stunning. Running on the Frostbite engine, Battlefield V boasts vibrant textures and an incredible attention to detail. Individual blades of grass move in the wind, bullet casings drop from fighter planes and colorful fire effects rip out of the gun barrels of tanks. Sound design in Battlefield V is great. Weapons sound heavy and intimidating, vehicles sound realistic and bombs produce a tremendous noise. The lighting in Battlefield V is amazing. The color palette of the entire game is unique, and a far cry from the drab way the Battlefield series used to look in the early 2000's.  

As a fan of multiplayer shooters, I can confidently say that Battlefield V is a fun title so far. We will see if developer Dice will keep the game on the right track with balancing improvements and enticing DLC. The game is beautiful, fun, and challenging, but it does not try anything too innovative. Battlefield V sticks to what Dice knows best: big battles, squad-based gameplay and a WWII setting. Battlefield V is out now for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. 

Mitchell Kevett is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in history and minoring in political science. His column, "Gamer Next Door," runs on alternate Wednesdays.

______________________________________________________________________________

Mitchell Kevett