May 25, 2019 | 61° F

Things to do on Christmas Day

screen-shot-2018-12-12-at-12-36-12-am

After a long semester of school filled with late nights, long hours of studying and little free time, a month-long break is much-needed. Even for those who haven’t had a rough semester, there’s no doubt that stepping out of the college environment for a while is necessary in order to recharge. For those who aren’t planning on celebrating Christmas, there are various ways to enjoy the season — and the end of a semester — that are still available on Christmas Day.  

Skate at Rockefeller Center

Ice skating in New York City on a beautiful winter day is definitely a wondrous experience. The Rink at Rockefeller Center is an outside rink, combining the atmosphere of New York City’s striking scenery with the jovial experience that comes with ice skating among friends. General admission tickets are $33 during Christmas and the holiday season, which may be pricey for a college student, but the experience is surely special during the holidays. 

Visit the Jewish Museum

There are a ton of museums available in New York City that can deepen the knowledge of our surroundings and interests. It’s a good idea to take advantage of them during school breaks. The Jewish Museum is one of very few museums open on Christmas. For those who are interested in learning about Jewish culture, intrigued by visual art or are Jewish themselves, this museum is a go-to. The museum boasts 30,000 works of art, ceremonial objects and media in which visitors can "journey through 4,000 years of art and Jewish culture from around the world,” according to its website. On Christmas Day, besides the art exhibitions it will have open, the museum will be featuring live-performed Jewish music. As a plus, student tickets only cost $8.

Go to Longwood Gardens

There are many who appreciate the Christmas spirit, though they don't formally celebrate the holiday. If that describes you, then the fantastic journey exploring Longwood Gardens shouldn't be missed. The Christmas season is a bright one, filled with lights, jingle bells and jolly music. Longwood Gardens, located in Chester County, Pa., highlights the seasonal cheer in its botanical Christmas gardens. The full garden experience comes with Christmas trees neatly covered in lights and ornaments as well as fountains and carolers. A stroll through the garden is the closet you’ll come to walking in a winter wonderland. On Christmas Day, student tickets will be $20. Once again, this is an experience that may run a tad expensive, but it can offer new sights perfect for the holiday.

Catch a movie at Rutgers Cinema

There are those who enjoy an extensive vacation for the holidays, and there are those that would rather spend their holiday time less extravagantly. Those who want to save their money over break and are interested in the simple pleasures that come with watching a movie should consider taking a trip to Rutgers Cinema. Surprisingly, Rutgers’ movie theater is open all year long, even including Christmas Day. With a Rutgers ID, ticket prices are $5 during matinee and $7 regularly.

Catherine Navas-Folgar