April 20, 2019 | 58° F

High school club works concession stands at Rutgers

michaeltownley
Photo by Facebook |

Michael Townley, member of the Rotary Club and chair of the event, said he had been working at concessions with the University for more than 18 years. For half that time, the Interact Club has also supported their project. 

The Interact Club from North Plainfield High School has been staffing some of the concession stands at the Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC) this season. 

The club sent more than 20 of its members to four basketball games and four wrestling matches, according to TAPinto. They staffed two concessions at each game to raise money for scholarships.

The Interact Club members, along with members from the Rotary Club at the high school, prepared classic game-day foods such as hot dogs, burgers, pretzels and popcorn to serve to fans. They also made fountain soda to order, served snacks and gave hot beverages such as coffee and hot chocolate. The experience helped them work together and develop customer service skills.

“We have been working concessions at Rutgers for over 18 years,” said Michael Townley, a member of the Rotary Club who chairs the event, according to TAPinto. “For over half that time, the Interact Club has supported our project with their hard work and dedicated service.” 

The Interact Club works to serve others through different projects and programs. Alexandra Pereira, a Spanish language teacher, is the adviser of the Interact Club at the high school.

“(Pereira) is a great club adviser,” said Townley. “She guides the club through their own activities and service projects, such as sponsoring blood drives, and really allows them to develop their leadership skills. (Pereira) also identifies the ‘best of the best’ for recognition as ‘Students of the Month’ throughout the school year.” 

Whether the concession stand is having a slow or busy night, the members of the club said they take their job seriously.

“I love working with the kids at the Rutgers games,” said Roberta Smith, the Rotary Club president at the high school, according to TAPinto. “They are so enthusiastic and conscientious about their work, it’s fun to be there with them. The scholarships that we award at North Plainfield High School only go to members of Interact. This is our way of thanking them for their hard work and dedication to our club and the community.” 

The Interact Club not only helps the Rotary Club with concession stands, but also with their annual track and field meet in June. The club members work as assistants to the event, helping to officiate activities for hundreds of student athletes from various middle schools.

“We are blessed to have the kids from Interact support our club’s service projects,” said Ravenell Williams, a former president of the Interact Club, according to TAPinto. “And it’s our pleasure to help instill in some and strengthen in others the ideal of service to others.” 

Catherine Nguyen