Rutgers among top 6 transfer programs nationwide

Robin Diamond, the Assistant Dean and Director of Transfer Students, said her office is improving its communication by using web-based applications, such as creating the School of Arts and Sciences Transfer Mentor program. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

The Rutgers SAS Transfer Center has been named by the National Academic Advising Association as 1 of 6 model programs in the nation. Assistant Dean and Director of Transfer Students Robin Diamond gave an interview to The Daily Targum to share insight into her program. 

“Transfer students are often surprised at the rigor of our classes and the demands of our faculty in comparison to their previous schools,” Diamond said. 

Because of this, Diamond said the office has enhanced its services by streamlining its delivery of information by using web-based applications, creating the School of Arts and Sciences Transfer Mentor Program and developed the Students in Transition seminar. 

She said they have also “rewritten the curriculum in its entirety.” 

The School of Arts and Sciences Transfer Mentor Program allows for current Rutgers students to serve as mentors to incoming transfers. Mentors are able to convey information the School of Arts and Sciences Transfer Center provides, according to the Advising and Academic Services website

Additionally, the Students in Transition seminar is an in-depth introduction to the University and the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS), according to the website. 

“Topics in this course are designed to assist transfer students in their adjustment to the University and to facilitate successful first-term academic performance during this transition. With this goal in mind, the seminar will introduce students to the skills necessary to be successful in and outside the classroom,” the website stated. 

Students enrolled in the seminar are also required to attend passport events throughout the University, according to the website. 

For the future, Diamond said her office will expand the scope of its mentor program and move the passport events to a new website. 

“We take our mission to serve SAS transfer students very seriously and are constantly trying to improve our services,” Diamond said.