June 25, 2019 | 73° F

Council urges for increased student representation for high-level administrative appointments

sebs-molloy-jacksonthompson
Photo by Jackson Thompson |

Christopher J. Molloy, the Chancellor of Rutgers University-New Brunswick, was appointed in the absence of a selection committee and representation from any undergraduate governing body, while other previous chancellors were.

The School of Environmental and Biological Sciences (SEBS) Governing Council has passed a resolution to express disapproval in the selection process for Chancellor of Rutgers University—New Brunswick Christopher J. Molloy, according to a press release. 

Specifically, the council is opposed to the appointment’s absence of a selection committee and representation from any undergraduate governing body, according to the release. Previous chancellors, including Chancellor Debasish Dutta, were appointed through this process. 

“A lack of both transparency and opportunity for input are of great concern to the undergraduate student body …” the release stated. “The student body is one of the primary stakeholders in University decisions and collectively pays tuition and fees to support the University, and therefore deserves more information and the opportunity to have seats at the table.”

The resolution urges the University to establish guidelines for the selection process of high-level administrators that includes a formal process to have representation from appropriate student governments and stakeholders, according to the release. 

The Daily Targum reported that the Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) voiced similar opposition to the selection process of Molloy after his appointment as permanent chancellor was announced in early February. 

RUSA will be holding a town hall with Molloy this Thursday, where students will be allowed to ask him questions. 

Brendan Brightman