Partnership with Supply Chain Management Association gives opportunities to RBS graduates

Rutgers Business School offers an online graduate program in supply chain management. With the University's recent partnership, those who graduated from the MBA now have an accelerated way to work in supply chain in Canada.  – Photo by Photo by Rutgers.edu | The Daily Targum

Yesterday, Rutgers announced its partnership with the Supply Chain Management Association (SCMA) to allow graduates from Rutgers Business School who earned an MBA in supply chain management to have an advanced standing for a professional designation within SCMA, according to Return on Information-New Jersey.

The designation is required for those hoping to work supply chain management in Canada. 

“We are very excited about our partnership with Rutgers Business School,” said Christian Buhagiar, CEO and president of SCMA. “Rutgers is the first U.S. university with which we’ve partnered to develop advanced standing pathways into our SCMP designation. Immigration is a key economic driver for Canada, supported by the Government of Canada, and creating international pathways to Canada’s most sought-after supply chain designation will open opportunities for those wishing to emigrate to work in Canadian supply chain management.” 

The program includes eight modules which cover the most essential parts of supply chain management, including logistics, transportation, global sourcing and supply chain management for the public sector, according to the SCMA website. These modules are either online or in-person, and are either seven-week or 13-week long sessions. 

The designation also has six interactive workshops that range from 2 to 4 days long, and address high-level business skills such as negotiation skills, risk management and ethical behavior. 

Another part of the program is an in-residence week, which puts together the knowledge gained during the modules and interactive workshops. Participants in the program then take a final examination, and are required to achieve three years of progressive experience in supply chain management to be designated. 

“We are thrilled to partner with the SCMA to offer opportunities to our students to pursue supply chain management careers in Canada,” said James King, senior director of Office of Career Management at Rutgers Business School.

Graduates who have an MBA in supply chain management at Rutgers Business School have the added benefit of being exempt from all the workshops and 7 of the 8 modules if they are interested in receiving the designation. The only module they have to complete is the one on supply chain management for the public sector, but Rutgers graduates are still required to complete the in-residence week, pass the final exam and show proof of experience in supply chain management. 

“It’s a testament to the strength of Rutgers supply chain management curriculum to so closely match the requirements for the SCMP designation,” said Andy Gogates, manager of corporate relations at Rutgers Business School.

“This is a real advantage for Rutgers MBA graduates looking for career opportunities in Canada,” Gogates said.