May 27, 2019 | 66° F

Rutgers comes away from Iowa with 1 win

sports-brito-curstine-3-19
Photo by Curstine Guevarra |

The Rutgers baseball team went on the road to Iowa City, Iowa to take on an Iowa team who had just swept then-No. 23 Illinois. The Scarlet Knights (9-19, 2-4) lost 2 of 3 in the Midwest.

Sophomore left-handed pitcher Harry Rutkowski was dealing on Friday, as he often does. The only problem was that Rutgers continues to struggle against Friday starters, this time being Hawkeyes (18-12, 5-4) right-hander Cole McDonald, who tossed 6.1 scoreless innings, scattering eight hits, while striking out eight and walking three.  

Iowa broke through to Rutkowski in the bottom of the sixth inning, where it plated 4 runs, highlighted by a 3-run homer by first baseman Izaya Fullard.

Rutkowski went back out for the seventh inning, where things did not get much better. With two outs in the inning and two runners on and down 1-2 in the count, the Hawkeyes' second baseman Mitchell Boe doubled into the right centerfield gap, scoring 2 runs and ending the day for Rutkowski.  

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Kyle Muller relieved him. The Knights would score one in the eighth inning on a RBI single from true freshman infielder Chris Brito, but that would be all the scoring on Friday night. They would fall 6-1.

For the second straight conference series, Rutgers would play a doubleheader with rain in the forecast on Sunday. 

Senior catcher Tyler McNamara would get the scoring started with an RBI fielder’s choice, but Iowa would score the next 7 runs in the game. Junior right-handed pitcher Tommy Genuario, making his second career start, allowed 5 earned runs in five innings. 

The Knights would rally in the seventh inning, starting with the first career home run for sophomore infielder Mike Nyisztor, a solo shot. After a RBI single from junior infielder Kevin Welsh and a 2-run single from senior infielder Carmen Sclafani, the score was 7-5, but that is the closest Rutgers would get.  

Iowa first baseman Zeb Adreon would hit a 2-run double to extend the Hawkeye lead to 9-5, and that is how the game would end.

The second game of the doubleheader went very well for the Knights. They got off to a booming start, scoring five in the first inning, capped off by a 3-run home run from Sclafani.

Junior left-handed pitcher Tevin Murray would give Rutgers a strong start, pitching five innings and yielding just 1 unearned run. The Knights would score 15 runs on 15 hits, both season highs. Brito went 3-for-4, including a 3-run home run. 

Senior right-handed pitcher Serafino Brito pitched the final three innings of the game, yielding no runs, while striking out four and walking one.  

Rutgers would go on to win by a score of 15-3, its first Big Ten road win since the opening series of the 2018 season at Michigan State, who it will welcome to Bainton Field for a three-game series this weekend.

But, first the Knights head to Lafayette on Wednesday for their mid-week game.

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Sam Marsdale