May 27, 2019 | 66° F

Rutgers professor to teach full-time, hopes to assist students in networking, real-world knowledge

mg-0002
Photo by Dustin Niles |

Mark Beal, currently a part-time lecturer in the Department of Communication, said that his 30-year experience in public relations will help students also hoping to go into the field. Next semester, he will be taking on a full-time role at the University. 

Next semester, Rutgers School of Communication and Information will be adding another notable name to its list of full-time professors. Mark Beal, a part-time lecturer in the Department of Communication and known for his “101 Lessons” books, will be teaching full-time next semester.

Beal said his debut at Rutgers as a full-time professor marks a “return of sorts,” as it was his alma mater.

“Exactly 30 years ago, in 1989, I graduated from Rutgers and started my career in public relations,” he said.

Shortly after graduation, Beal was able to find work at Taylor, a sports and entertainment public relations firm that was reported as one of the top-ranking firms, according to Holmes Report.

He has worked for almost three decades at Taylor, and has served as its managing partner since 2004. He has also worked with a variety of companies alongside Taylor. 

“(My colleagues and I) collaborated with category-leading consumer brands and Fortune 500 companies, creating and executing award-winning campaigns leveraging major sports and entertainment properties including the Olympic Games, Super Bowl, World Series, NCAA March Madness and U.S. Open Tennis Championships,” he said.

Beal hopes to bring his many years of hands-on experience to current and future students of Rutgers. Since 2013, he has been serving as a part-time lecturer, teaching the course Principals of Public Relations. Through the course, he said he has been able to cultivate relationships with current students and alumni.

By moving to a full-time position, he hopes to expand this level of collaboration.

“I want to collaborate even more with the incredible community of SCI faculty, administrators and of course the students, helping them prepare for the successful transition from college to a career in the communications industry whether that be in public relations, advertising, social media or any other channel in the integrated marketing mix,” he said.

Beal said working full-time will allow him to invest more time into his work. For him personally, he hopes to use that extra time to formalize relationships between the school and his contacts in professional public relations agencies, which include senior communications executives at Fortune 500 companies. 

He also hopes to further the Department of Communication at the University by improving research and teaching.

“In collaboration with the incredible community of existing SCI professors, faculty and administrators, I want to help transform the tremendous foundation of research and teaching that already exists at the graduate and undergraduate levels in a way that delivers to current and future Rutgers University students, in the nation’s top-ranked program of study in communications and public relations,” he said.

Though he does not yet know which new classes he will be teaching, Beal said that students studying public relations can expect many unique opportunities in the near future, and not just due to his role at Rutgers. The media landscape was also changing and reshaping the role of public relations, he said.

“This is a very exciting time for public relations, as the industry is transforming beyond just the earned media channel,” he said.

Beal said his students will study the different types of media channels involved in public relations, and then be able to apply that knowledge through internships and full-time opportunities. His ultimate goal is to utilize his professional network to help his students. 

“(My ultimate goal is to) elevate my efforts and facilitate even more real-world opportunities for our SCI students with agencies, corporations, brands and organizations by leveraging my vast professional network,” he said.

Christian Balbuena