Rutgers is gathering information on Syracuse verbal attack involving University student

and 
Out of the 14 individuals who committed the Nov. 16 verbal attack at Syracuse University, 10 of them came from other colleges.  – Photo by Jason / Flickr

The University said the Rutgers student who allegedly committed a racist verbal attack at Syracuse University could possibly face disciplinary action, said Neal Buccino, a University spokesperson, in a statement to The Daily Targum. 

“Rutgers University is committed to fostering an environment in which people of all backgrounds are treated with respect, and we strongly condemn the use of racist and other hateful language and behavior as antithetical to our core values. We are aware of the reported involvement of a Rutgers—New Brunswick student in a bias incident at Syracuse University and are in the process of gathering more information to help determine whether the student violated Rutgers’ Code of Student Conduct, which applies both on and off-campus. Due to federal privacy regulations, Rutgers does not comment on matters dealing with individual students and student discipline,” Buccino said.

A version of the statement was originally reported by NJ Advance Media.

The Targum reported that Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud said 14 students, 10 of whom are not affiliated with Syracuse University, verbally attacked a Black student with racist language on Nov. 16.

“The student who was reported to be the most aggressive in this incident is affiliated with Rutgers University,” Syverud said.

Syverud notified the universities of the students involved so their own schools could take appropriate action.