Murphy announces state funding for improving New Jersey school districts

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) announced that New Jersey school districts will be eligible to apply for grant funding for improvement projects.  – Photo by @NatlGovsAssoc / Twitter

On Thursday, Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) announced his administration’s plan for funding vital renovations in school districts throughout the state, according to a press release.

The funding, totaling $350 million, is appropriated from a legislative package approved by the New Jersey Legislature in June 2022. The funds will be available to over 550 school districts in the form of grants and will allow for funding of at least 40 percent of project costs.

Projects eligible for the funding include critical infrastructure and technology upgrades, making entrances and bathrooms accessible to individuals with disabilities and removing hazardous materials, according to the release.

Other uses of the grant include student health-related improvements that target air quality, playgrounds and athletic sites and fixing building code issues.

"This funding demonstrates our commitment to strengthening our schools and cementing our legacy as a state that is dedicated to providing every student with a high-quality learning environment," Murphy said. 

The New Jersey Department of Education (DOE) and the ​​New Jersey Schools Development Authority will oversee the grant applications and funding process, according to the release.

School districts will have until May 1 to apply, and the DOE will have 90 days to analyze the application and determine if the project is eligible for state funding.