Biden addresses youth mental health crisis in State of Union address

President Joseph R. Biden Jr. addressed a joint session of congress on Tuesday detailing the state of the country.
 – Photo by @POTUS / Twitter

On Tuesday night, President Joseph R. Biden Jr. delivered the annual State of the Union address, announcing major initiatives and his administration's plans for the upcoming year.

In anticipation of the speech, the White House released information on the most pressing issues he plans to address.

As part of the State of the Union event, Biden directed the Department of Education to release $280 million in grants to schools in high-need districts in an effort to increase the number of available mental health care professionals.

"When millions of young people are struggling with bullying, violence, trauma, we owe them greater access to mental health care at their schools," Biden said.

Other critical issues he targeted in his address were reform for cancer treatment, veteran care and addressing the fentanyl and opioid crisis.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) released a statement with his response to Biden’s address shortly after the speech concluded Tuesday night.

He thanked Biden for his leadership and policies on the economy, job growth and mental health. Murphy also talked about his role as the Chair of the National Governors Association and how the association hopes to partner with Biden on his agenda.

"I have made youth mental health my priority, as well. But this is an issue which must be tackled not only on a state-by-state basis, but as a nation by enhancing access to mental health care, supporting our mental health workforce and eliminating the stigma that too often is associated with mental health challenges," Murphy said in his statement.