Rutgers softball scores 4 more victories in Jeannine McHaney Memorial Classic

Senior outfielder Taylor Fawcett has gotten off to a hot start with a .343 batting average, helping the Rutgers softball team to a 16-4 overall record so far this season. – Photo by Ethan Mito / ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers softball team ended the Jeannine McHaney Memorial Classic in Lubbock, Texas, with 4 wins out of 5 games. The Scarlet Knights (16-4, 0-0) had another successful tournament this weekend to keep their high winning percentage intact.

Kicking off the tournament, Rutgers matched up with North Dakota on Friday morning. The Knights defeated the Bisons (1-15, 0-0) with a commanding 12-4 victory.

Multiple players were able to bring in runs during the game. Senior outfielder Taylor Fawcett sent a home run to left field during the third inning, extending Rutgers' lead to 9-4. Fawcett went 2-3 with three runs batted in (RBIs) and two runs scored overall in the contest.

Senior pitcher Ashley Hitchcock pitched on the circle for most of the game. The pitcher only allowed two hits from North Dakota and recorded three strikeouts. Hitchcock let up four runs through three innings, but her team's hot bats earned her the pitching victory. For the remainder of the game, sophomore pitcher Georgie Ingle pitched and allowed no Bison to score.

Entering their second game on Friday afternoon, the Knights gained another win against Texas Tech. Rutgers was able to score four runs during the game against the Red Raiders (15-7, 0-0) and ended the game with a score of 8-4

Freshman pitcher Raimy Gamsby took the circle for the game's opening inning. Graduate student pitcher Jaden Vickers then pitched for the remaining innings, giving up only two Texas Tech runs while striking out six.

The two pitchers combined to only give up five hits. They faced trouble in the second inning, though, when Gamsby let up two home runs and was relieved by Vickers, who gave up a solo shot of her own.

During the fourth inning, the Knights rebounded and retrieved the lead by bringing home five runs from different players. This ended their runs scored for the remainder of the game as they cruised to another victory.

Saturday morning, Rutgers met up with North Dakota again for a rematch. The Knights defeated the Bison 11-1, making it a blowout. 

Rutgers got to an early start during the game when junior shortstop Kyleigh Sand crossed the plate on a ground out. Following Sand, senior center Katie Wingert and freshman pitcher Ryann Orange were able to cross the plate, too, after Payton Lincavage doubled to left center. Lincavage later scored off a Fawcett double.

Junior infielder Lauren Punk ended the game for the Knights on a high note after hitting the ball straight over the center field wall. This marked Punk's first home run of the season. Rutgers' pitchers only let up one run on two hits.

To finish off on Saturday, the Knights met up with the Red Raiders again. Although it was a close game, Rutgers fell against Texas Tech 6-5

Smith and Vickers served on the circle during the game, allowing 10 hits total. Sand scored 3 out of the Knights' 5 runs. Orange brought home two runs off an RBI single and double in the fifth and sixth innings, respectively.

Rutgers led all the way up until the seventh inning when the Red Raiders brought home five straight runs to walk off the game.

Despite their loss on Saturday, the Knights were able to make a comeback against their home rivals, Seton Hall. The Pirates (7-7, 0-0) kept it close to Rutgers, but the Knights earned a 3-2 victory.

Rutgers was tied with Seton Hall during both the third and fourth innings. Playing nine innings to end the tie, Sand walked the game off when she crossed home from Orange's hit to center field. The win gave the Knights their 16th victory of the season.

Rutgers will take on the Bubly Invitational this weekend in Gainesville, Florida. The Knights will compete twice against Mercer and Louisiana and play a single game against Florida, the host of the invitation. Rutgers' first matchup of the weekend will come against the Bears (6-13, 0-0) at 10:30 a.m. on Friday.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.