Rutgers Law School alum nominated to federal court

Jamel Semper, a Rutgers Law School alum, has been nominated to serve as a federal judge in New Jersey by President Joseph R. Biden Jr. – Photo by @schools_essex / X.com

Yesterday, President Joseph R. Biden Jr. nominated Jamel Semper as 1 of 4 nominees to the federal district court, according to a press release.

Semper graduated from Rutgers Law School in 2007 and has since worked as a law clerk, prosecutor and assistant U.S. attorney for the District of New Jersey. Semper's nomination to the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey is still subject to Senate confirmation.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) released a statement expressing his excitement and approval of Biden's nominee.  

"His extensive legal experience, coupled with his commitment to public service, makes him well-qualified and ideally suited for the federal bench, and I congratulate him on his nomination," Murphy said. 

Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) issued a joint statement saying they recommended that Biden nominate Semper to the court and elaborated on his ties to New Jersey.

"Semper has served the Garden State with fairness and compassion, dedicating his career to keeping New Jerseyans safe," Menendez said in the release.

Next, Semper will face the Senate Judiciary Committee for a confirmation hearing. If confirmed, he would be the ninth Federal District Judge of New Jersey nominated and confirmed under the Biden administration, according to the joint statement.

"Should he be confirmed, Mr. Semper would further our collective effort to diversify our federal bench and help ensure that all individuals, regardless of their background, have access to equal justice under the law," Menendez said.