EPA announces plan to support New Brunswick in finding, removing lead pipes

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced earlier this week that New Brunswick will receive state and federal aid to locate and remove all the water pipes that contain lead in the city.  – Photo by benjamin lehman / Unsplash

On Monday, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced a project to remove lead pipes from the city of New Brunswick and nine other communities in New Jersey, according to a press release.

The program will work to help these communities find and remove the lead pipes, which are dangerous regardless of their levels of lead.

"The communities are receiving water technical assistance (WaterTA) to identify lead pipes in their water systems, access infrastructure funds and develop plans to replace lead pipes that pose risks to human health," the release read.

The initiative is part of President Joseph R. Biden Jr.'s administration's plan to remove 100 percent of lead pipes in America, known as the "The Lead Service Line Replacement Accelerator Program."

James Cahill, mayor of New Brunswick, said in the release that this project is a major step in prioritizing the health and safety of the community.

"The Lead Service Line Replacement Accelerator Program represents a crucial initiative that aligns with our commitment to providing clean and safe drinking water for our residents," he said.

Radhika Fox, the EPA assistant administrator for water, said that New Jersey's work to remove lead pipes has set an example for the nation and should act as a guide for other states to follow.

Other places in New Jersey that are part of this initiative are Blackwood, Camden, Clementon, East Newark, Harrison, Keansburg, Keyport, Trenton and Ventnor.

Funding for this project is part of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which set aside $15 billion to remove and replace lead pipes in the U.S.