New Brunswick to be 1st city served by rideshare system RIDE On Demand

New Brunswick will launch RIDE On Demand (RIDE), a rideshare platform meant to serve areas not already served by New Jersey Transit bus and train routes, on Tuesday. – Photo by Dan Gold // Unsplash

On Tuesday, New Brunswick will be the first city to implement RIDE On Demand (RIDE), a rideshare service focused on serving areas of the city not already served by existing public transport options, according to a press release.

RIDE, a service under Via, a rideshare company oriented toward the same goal in Jersey City, will be offering rides free of cost for the first two weeks after its launch. After the promotion ends, rides will be priced at $3 each.

Rides are offered between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. on weekdays and between 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends, according to the release. Users can request rides through an app or a phone call anywhere within the city and can join a ride with other users going in a similar direction, according to RIDE's website.

RIDE will operate in New Brunswick under a one-year trial before potentially expanding to other towns in Middlesex County.

"New Brunswick is enthusiastic about renewing its partnership with the County to pilot this innovative, app-based transit service. We encourage everyone in New Brunswick to embrace the convenience of RIDE On Demand and discover the opportunities this new County service will provide," New Brunswick Mayor James Cahill (D-N.J.) said.