Anchored down Seton Hall: Rutgers baseball drowns Pirates in Tuesday afternoon matchup

The Rutgers baseball team cruised to a Tuesday afternoon victory over in-state rival Seton Hall. – Photo by Christian Sanchez

The Rutgers baseball team sought redemption and achieved it in its 8-1 road wins over Seton Hall on Tuesday. The Scarlet Knights (20-12, 1-5) were coming off a sweep at the hands of Purdue last weekend but were able to get the bats going against the Pirates (17-15, 1-2).

Rutgers struck first after senior infielder Cameron Love's single to left-plated freshman catcher Jackson Natili.

The next run would not be scored until the top of the fifth inning, as graduate student outfielder Pete Durocher sent a bases-clearing triple to left field to give the Knights a 4-0 lead.

Seton Hall would get on the scoreboard in the bottom of the fifth inning, but Rutgers answered in the seventh inning after freshman infielder Ty Doucette skied a three-run home run to right to extend the Knights' lead to 7-1.

Rutgers would score its eighth run in the top of the eighth inning after Love took home off an error. The Knights' seven-run lead would stick until the end, as sophomore right-handed pitcher Ethan Bowen nailed the door shut with two scoreless innings.

Junior right-handed pitcher Jordan Falco toed the rubber for Rutgers to begin the game and fired 4.2 innings of one-run ball with three strikeouts. It was graduate student right-handed pitcher Sonny Fauci who earned his fourth victory of the season after relieving Falco with two outs in the fifth, ending the inning with a groundout.

The Knights tallied 10 hits with junior infielder Josh Kuroda-Grauer responsible for three of the base knocks. Rutgers' pitchers allowed just six hits to the Pirates.

The Knights will now prepare for a three-game homestand with Nebraska this weekend. Friday's first pitch is set for 6 p.m. with Saturday's game beginning at 3 p.m. and the Sunday series-closer scheduled to start at noon. The first two games of the series will be streamed on Big Ten Plus with Sunday's game being broadcast on Big Ten Network. All three games can be listened to on 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Philip Jaccoma's work, follow @PJaccoma on X.