COMMENTARY: Statement from Jewish students on Center for Islamic Life at Rutgers attack

Solidarity between Jewish and Muslim students must be prioritized after the Center for Islamic Life at Rutgers University (CILRU) was broken into and vandalized on Wednesday. – Photo by Center for Islamic Life at Rutgers University (CILRU) / facebook.com

We awoke on Wednesday horrified to learn that the Center for Islamic Life at Rutgers University on the College Avenue campus was broken into and vandalized earlier that morning.

We see the defacement and destruction of our Muslim friends' space on campus as an act of intimidation and violence. We understand that such an act being committed during the sacred holiday of Eid al-Fitr is an expression of pure Islamophobia, hatred and prejudice.

Our hearts hurt for our peers who are experiencing the violation of a space that has been a haven of belonging and security during an already volatile and scary time for Muslim, Arab and Palestinian students.

As Jewish students, we understand the absolute necessity of these spaces for religious and cultural connection, and we see the pain that the events of Wednesday morning have caused. As Jewish students, we stand in solidarity with those experiencing this grief. We share a prayer for safety, belonging and peace at this time:

Ufros aleinu sukat sh'lomecha. Spread over us the shelter of your peace. 

We want to offer any security we can provide at this moment. If you feel unsafe walking to class, we will accompany you. If you need a partner for meals at a dining hall, we are happy to join. If you need help navigating the resources available to students, we will help however we can.

May we be strengthened against hate, and may we protect each other in our solidarity. May we recognize each other and fight together for a world of justice and peace.

Jewish Students of Rutgers is a group of students listed here.

*Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Letters to the editor must be between 350 and 600 words. Commentaries must be between 600 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com and eic@dailytargum.com to be considered for publication.