Knights, Camera, Action: Jessica Darrow

"Encanto" star Jessica Darrow spoke to the Targum about her time in New Brunswick and overcoming self-doubt. – Photo by Franky Tan

Before Jessica Darrow was starring as Luisa Madrigal in Disney productions like "Encanto" and captivating audiences with catchy tunes, she was just another Rutgers student, trying to figure out where she belonged. The Miami-based singer and actress took some time to acclimate to a whole new world in New Brunswick.

In an interview with The Daily Targum, Darrow spoke about her time on the Banks and overcoming self-confidence issues she encountered growing up.

"I just felt like I wasn't — I didn't really belong," said Darrow. "I got a lot of stares because I would sing really loud … But as a kid I was like, 'This ain't really cutting it for me.'"

Despite these initial struggles, it was Darrow's devotion to music, in addition to a growing love for storytelling and writing that kept her going. By fifth grade, fueled by creative writing assignments and the opportunity to craft quirky characters for her school's morning announcements, she had her career path made up — she wanted to be an author.

This dream would transform over time, and through her experience with improv and local theater, Darrow discovered that acting was a way for her to explore all of her blossoming passions. She cites a decision she made in middle school, to begin attending Miami Childrens Theater (MCT), as being instrumental in her growth.

"(It's) just a safe space for kids to discover themselves and feel free to be whoever they want to be," she said. "When I found MCT, I'd say that really solidified that I knew I would be doing this for the rest of my life."

Darrow continued honing in on her craft throughout high school, getting involved with the foundation YoungArts, which guides aspiring students in their artistry. There, she met Barbara Marchant, the former associate chair of the Department of Theater at the Mason Gross School of the Arts, head of the BFA/MFA acting program and director and co-founder of the Rutgers Conservatory Training Program at Shakespeare's Globe in London.

Feeling dejected after being waitlisted by several schools, Marchant suggested an alternative path at the university, emphasizing the opportunities that the program offered, namely a trip to London.

"I took her advice, and I auditioned … and I got in," said Darrow. "Going to Rutgers completely changed my perspective on acting, and I would not be where I am today without that program."

Coming from sunny South Beach, Miami, Darrow took some time to adjust to the characters and volatile weather in the Garden State. She jokes that one of the questions she was constantly asked throughout her first year was why she would ever leave Florida. But, as she notes, it was necessary for her personal and professional growth.

"I couldn't facilitate a career in the arts for myself in an environment like that," she said. "I really needed to be around people who wanted to bust their ass — and New Brunswick is definitely a town that forces you to take the good with the bad … I've never known a city like New Brunswick."

During her time at Rutgers, Darrow was able to find a community through the Mason Gross School of the Arts, which she says was practically handed to her. There, she was able to meet some of her closest friends, some of whom she still keeps in contact with to this day.

"I felt very lucky to have that because I am someone who cannot exist without community — I rely on my people so much," said Darrow.

Some of Darrow's most cherished memories at the University included a movement class and performance ensemble.

Once Darrow graduated from Rutgers, though, she was once again confronted with a question that's persisted throughout her career, whether it was as a member of her elementary school choir or a Rutgers first-year — how was she going to make a name for herself?

To Darrow, the answer came from self-reflecting and pinpointing the things that made her stand out.

"'What is my niche? What is the thing that I know I am particularly good at?'" she said to herself. "I have always known people like the sound of my voice … I was doing a lot of voiceover commercials."

What initially consisted of a series of odd jobs helped open new doors for Darrow and get her name out into the industry. Eventually, an audition for Disney's "Encanto" fell into her lap.

"I was able to meet the casting director, and she really got to know my personality … I was talking about my family, which really mattered to her in terms of casting the project," she said. "It was a very special, serendipitous audition, but very clearly meant to be."

Since then, Darrow has been able to propel her success with Disney into other projects. While her patience has been tested throughout her career, she credits perseverance as a key characteristic to success in the industry — in addition to traveling and learning more about themselves.

"You can't care about what people think in a career where it's literally your job to audition and receive judgment," she said. "The second you lose that and really just have confidence in what you know only you have to offer, so many things just start falling into place."