Rutgers' Black Student Union unifies New Brunswick with 'Unity Day'

Solidified by a talented pool of performers, the Black Student Union's "Unity Day" served as beacon of solidarity for the University. – Photo by Ashley Caldwell

On April 13, Rutgers—New Brunswick was abuzz with the spirit of togetherness, as the Black Student Union (BSU) hosted its annual Unity Day. For the entire afternoon, students flocked to Deiner Park, drawn by the promise of good music, great food and a shared experience that epitomized the event's name.

Kicking off the celebration were the beats and bars of Mcvertt, Cash Cobain and Kyle Richh. The performances were a mix of hip-hop and rhythm and blues, genres deeply rooted in Black culture. The crowd's energy peaked when the surprise guest, Chow Lee, hit the stage, adding to the event's already vibrant atmosphere.

While music was at the heart of Unity Day, the food vendors were equally phenomenal. The diverse array of culinary options served as a reminder of the inclusive Rutgers community. Students got a taste of food that conjured up feelings of home for some and offered new experiences for others. 

If that wasn't enough, the event also catered to those with an appetite for fashion. Attendees visited thrift stands that offered a bounty of clothes and accessories, giving them a glimpse of the student body's various styles. Local artisans brought their jewelry-making skills to the forefront, selling pieces that resonated with cultural significance and charm.

Beyond the entertainment value, Unity Day stood as an exemplar of inclusion and togetherness. It served as a platform for the BSU to reinforce its role in fostering a sense of belonging among the Black student population and the wider University community. The day was an opportunity for students of all backgrounds to mingle, enjoy themselves and appreciate the diversity that defines their campus.

As the sun set on Deiner Park, the echoes of the day's festivities lingering, students left with more than just the memory of a day well spent. Many carried bags of thrifted clothes, leftovers from the food stands and most importantly, the feeling of connection to a community that extends beyond the individual.

In the end, Unity Day was a reflection of the BSU's efforts to cultivate a culture of acceptance and mutual respect.

With the success of this year's event, the BSU at Rutgers—New Brunswick has set a high bar for Unity Day celebrations in the years to come.

They've proven that with the right mix of music, food and fashion, it's possible to craft an event that not only entertains but also educates and unites. And as the BSU looks to the future, they carry with them the power of community, the joy of shared experiences and the promise of unity in every endeavor.