Rutgers softball sweeps Maryland in midweek doubleheader

The Rutgers softball team scored 16 runs in its midweek doubleheader sweep against Maryland. – Photo by Christian Sanchez

The Rutgers softball team swept Maryland in its doubleheader clash on Wednesday night. The Scarlet Knights (25-16, 7-4) fired on all cylinders offensively against the Terrapins (17-21, 4-7) in College Park, Maryland, and have now won four straight games.

Game 1: Rutgers wins 7-6

Maryland took the lead in the bottom of the first to get a 2-0 advantage. Rutgers would get on the board in the third, as redshirt junior outfielder Jillian Anderson scored. The Knights then took the lead, as senior pitcher and outfielder Morgan Smith hit a three-run homer to make the score 4-2. The Terrapins responded with solo shots from Jaeda McFarland and Diamond Williams to tie the game at 4-4.

Smith continued her strong start to the evening for Rutgers, scoring two runners via a double. Maryland fought back, though, scoring two runs to level the game once again.

Graduate student infielder Payton Lincavage was the hero for the Knights. Her sacrifice fly in the top of the seventh gave Rutgers the game-winning run as graduate student utility LA Matthews scored.

Fifth-year pitcher Mattie Boyd closed out the game for the Knights and was credited with the save. Smith went 2-for-3 at the plate and had five runs batted in (RBI).

Game 2: Rutgers wins 9-0

The bats were hot for Rutgers to begin the game. In the top of the first, the Knights scored four runs before the Terrapins even stepped up to the plate. Smith and senior outfielder Kayla Bock both scored runners to put Rutgers in the driver's seat early.

The Knights replicated their first-inning dominance, scoring four more runs in the top of the fourth. Smith put the game to bed as she hit a grand slam to make it 9-0.

Boyd pitched a full game, throwing five strikeouts to improve to 14-6 on the season. Boyd was recently named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week after her strong performance against Wisconsin.

Smith finished the night with 10 RBI and now holds the program record for the most RBI in a single season.

Rutgers will return to the Rutgers Softball Complex on Livingston campus for a weekend series against Nebraska. All three games will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and the series will begin at 3 p.m. on Friday.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Allison Girardi's work, follow @allisongirardii on X.