Rutgers softball takes 2 of 3 in home series against Wisconsin

The Rutgers softball team celebrated a pair of bounce-back wins against Wisconsin after losing the series opener. – Photo by Anushka Dhariwal

The Rutgers softball team snagged another Big Ten series win this weekend. The Scarlet Knights (23-16, 5-4) hosted Wisconsin at the Rutgers Softball Complex on Livingston campus, taking 2 of 3 games.

Game one

Rutgers opened up play on Friday, getting on the board early and taking a 1-0 lead in the first inning off of a run-scoring double by graduate student infielder Payton Lincavage.

The Badgers (13-22, 2-7) had the better game offensively. A three-run homer from Hilary Blomberg got Wisconsin on the board and generated momentum that the Knights could not halter.

Rutgers got another run across in the fifth, but it was not enough to get the win. The Badgers took the victory on the series opener 5-2.

Game two

Game two was a big one for the Knights, who were looking to bounce back from their loss on Friday.

Rutgers wasted no time at all, scoring five runs in the opening inning.

Senior pitcher and outfielder Morgan Smith opened up the scoring with a solo home run. Graduate student catcher Katie Wingert followed with a grand slam, giving the Knights a massive 5-0 lead.

Rutgers continued on with a six-run second inning with Wingert crushing another ball out of the park. With her three-run homer in the second, Wingert tied the Knights' all-time home run record. She now resides with Jackie Bates with 40 career home runs.

Redshirt freshman infielder Bailey Briggs scored the final run for Rutgers with a run-scoring double in the fourth inning. The victory settled at 12-1 after five innings.

Fifth-year pitcher Mattie Boyd had an incredible day in the circle, throwing the complete five innings and only allowing one run.

With her two home runs, Wingert finished with a whopping seven runs batted in (RBI).

Game three

The Knights grabbed the series victory on Sunday against Wisconsin.

Rutgers built on the momentum from game two going into the series finale.

Graduate student utility player LA Matthews got the Knights on the board early with an RBI single.

Smith hit her 15th long ball of the season in the third, taking the Big Ten lead for home runs.

Lincavage immediately followed with a homer of her own, giving Rutgers a 4-0 lead.

The Badgers got a run on the board in the fourth inning, but their offense stopped there.

The Knights were victorious, winning the game 4-1.

Rutgers will be back in action on Wednesday. The team will travel to College Park, Maryland, for a midweek doubleheader, with game one kicking off at 4 p.m. on the Big Ten Network.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Allison Girardi's work, follow @allisongirardii on X.