Band Break Ups

Tricky relationships don't exist solely in romance - there have been plenty of musical artists that had some rocky relationships ending in break ups. From the notorious Fab Four break up, to other classic groups such as Oasis, Guns ‘N' Roses, N.W.A and The Supremes, animosity within groups appears to always exist. It may seem like candles and rose petals in the beginning, but what goes on behind closed doors is a whole different story... Here are some of the most recent bad band-break-ups - looks like they'll be spending Valentine's Day alone.

Thursday

Often in relationships there is a falling out. For members of New Brunswick-based band Thursday however, remaining close will not be an issue. The band recently announced that they intend to stop making music together. Although the band has not clearly stated whether or not they are breaking up, the year has been one full of personal difficulties. "Underneath it all, the personal circumstances involved make it impossible to continue Thursday in the spirit that has made it so special," the band said in a public statement. The band has talked about turning Thursday into a non-profit venture that records sporadically. The natives have left their musical mark with release of six full-length albums - the most recent was their 2011 release No Devolución. Although memories of their 1997 basement shows in New Brunswick may be forgotten, hopefully a day will come when those memories will re-emerge. - Divya Patibandla

The Academy Is...

Saying goodbye to their Warped Tour days, the boys of the Chicago-based band The Academy Is... decided to go their separate ways. The band began in 2003 and released a total of three studio albums. Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz was impressed by the band's initial EP, in turn causing the record label Fueled By Ramen to sign them immediately. The band's 2008 release and final studio album, Fast Times at Barrington High, was an instant success. The album made its way onto Rolling Stone's 50 Best Albums of the Year in 2008, and the first single, "About a Girl," was featured in an episode of MTV's hit series The Hills. In May 2011, the band announced the departure of lead guitarist Michael Guy Chislett and drummer Andy Mrotek, known by most as "The Butcher." The band's remaining three members, lead singer William Beckett, guitarist Mike Carden and bassist Adam T. Siska allegedly recorded new music in May 2011. Just five months later, The Academy Is... announced it is disbanding without release of any further recordings. Those were some "fast times" indeed. - Divya Patibandla

Thrice

The Artist in the Ambulance might just be an appropriate album name for California-based rock band Thrice, with the future of the band headed for the emergency room. Sometimes, people just need a break from each other. Members Dustin Kensrue, Teppei Teranishi, Eddie Breckenridge and Riley Breckenridge had taken some "me time" to individually write music for the band's new album as a whole. The album, Major/Minor, came out in September 2011. The band's hiatus follows their early 2012 tour. "Thrice is not breaking up," the band said in a public statement in November 2011. "If nothing has broken us up by now, I doubt anything ever could." Thrice recently announced their reunion tour, which will start up this May. - Divya Patibandla

Black Eyed Peas

An electro-pop group that's nearly trademarked the phrase "Let's get it started" has put their group's musical pursuits on pause. The group keeps insisting it does not intend to "break up" and that it's simply "taking a break" - but we all know what that means. Will.i.am has fervently stressed that their musical hiatus is not an official end. When interviewed about the matter on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, he commented, "When we take breaks you know, we work on side projects and get our personal stuff in order then come back and make beautiful music. We think beautiful music." The Black Eyed Peas played their latest show together at the end of November last year in Miami. Each member has plans of their own to conquer during their break. Will.i.am intends to work on his solo career, and release his 4th album, tentatively titled #willpower. The group's rapper, Taboo, intends to spend time with his family, especially since he and his wife recently had a child in April 2011. Apl.de.ap has noted that he will spend his time off to put forth energy into his ambassadorship for education in the Philippines. Completing the B.E.P. roster, frontwoman Fergie wants to focus on building a family with her husband, Josh Duhamel - so be on the lookout for baby bumps. - Emily Gabriele

Fleet Foxes

The Washington folk-rock band did not completely break up; they still have their handful of solo ventures in the works. Less than a month ago, the band's drummer, Josh Tillman announced his departure from the band. He posted on his Tumblr, "Tokyo is my last show with the Foxes. Sorry if I was distant and obtuse if we ever met. Have fun," thus signifying his ultimate leave from the group. Tillman previously released solo albums, his most recent one titled Singing Ax in 2010. However, he's not the only group member who is not whole-heartedly dedicated to the isolated project of Fleet Foxes. Casey Wescott, the band's keyboard, mandolin and semi-vocalist along with Christian Wargo, the Foxes' bassist and semi-vocalist also announced their side endeavor with the band Poor Moon. Poor Moon's EP, Illusion, is due for release on March 27. With a drummer gone, and two members not focusing solely on Fleet Foxes, is it safe to think that Fleet Foxes won't be coming out with a new album anytime soon? Like any other relationship, when a main focus isn't shared among all parties, trouble is usually soon to follow. - Emily Gabriele

R.E.M.

The iconic quartet that made fans around the world "lose their religion" announced their break up this past September. Group members, Michael Stipe, Peter Buck, Mike Mills and Bill Berry made the ultimate decision to step away from all they've known for the past 31 years. After releasing 15 full-length albums, the Georgia-rooted alternative-rock band made a legitimate announcement on their official website confirming the finality of their disbandment: "We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality and of astonishment at all we have accomplished." They released their last album, Accelerate, Collapse Into Now in March 2011, only six months before they made the announcement. In November 2011 the band released a compilation of all their music titled, Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage - a collection that contains music from their humble beginnings in 1982 to their final year as a band in 2011. It's evident that there are no hard feelings or negative sentiments within R.E.M.'s break up; they actually seem to have a mature and mutual understanding of their decision. If only that could be said for all relationships. - Emily Gabriele