LETTER: New York Fashion Week brings incredibly lively experiences

– Photo by null

It was here and it happened — Fashion Month, but most importantly, Fashion Week. If you are fortunate enough to take a daily stroll down the streets of Soho, New York City, then during Fashion Week, which took place in the first half of last month, you likely saw the sidewalks flooded with fashion lovers decorated head to toe. If you are not sure what I am talking about, you may be thinking, “Yeah people wear clothes, but why is there a week dedicated to it?” So let me start explaining — Fashion Week is a whole week where fashion designers get to run their shows and have some of the most famous runway models flaunt the season’s newest designs. 

Have you ever been to NYC in the winter to go for a quick skate in Bryant Park and suddenly realize you might actually need the gloves you refused to wear? One would walk right up to the many tents outside the rink and purchase a pair. Well, during Fashion Week, those infamous tents were replaced with runways and some of the most well known designers and celebrities.  

Celebrities such as Cardi B and Nicki Minaj might have come up on your Twitter feeds due to their “fight” while they too attended New York Fashion Week. That is a whole other debate for another day, but right now it is all about the clothes. This year, Kendall Jenner got to work with up-and-coming designer, Danielle Cathari, on a line for Adidas. Jenner and Hailey Baldwin both flaunted the newly designed track suits at one of the shows.  

If you are looking to attend one of these shows for next year, you either need to be invited or you can buy tickets. To keep it blunt, though, it will break your bank. But, you can be struck with luck and have the runway set out in front of you on the street. Such as the day when Alexander Wang ran out of his tour bus with Tyler, the Creator playing in the background as his newest collection walked down Broadway. I was able to see both Gigi and Bella Hadid, Jenner and rising model Kaia Gerber, all in a matter of 10 minutes and pure chance.  

I hope you are able to catch one of these breathtaking shows that will leave you talking about them to your coworkers for years. Just make sure to wear comfortable (yet couture) shoes. 

Alessandra Pronti is a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to [email protected] by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.