Targum sports desk gives predictions for Rutgers-Minnesota

Ahead of the Rutgers football team’s matchup at Minnesota tomorrow, The Daily Targum's sports desk give its predictions about the final score.  – Photo by Gabby Ricciardi / Scarletknights.com

Tomorrow, the Rutgers football team will take on Minnesota in an important Big Ten showdown. A win would give the Scarlet Knights (4-3, 1-3) their second road win of the season, their first road Big Ten win of the season and move them one win closer to Bowl eligibility.

As part of our game week football coverage, The Daily Targum's sports desk is back to give their score predictions and thoughts on how the game will unfold.

Dylan McCoy, head sports editor: "If the Knights can limit the running game of Minnesota and move the ball on offense, they have a real chance to get the upset in Minneapolis. Put me down for 17-14 Rutgers."

Jack Bisaha, associate sports editor: "Last week, I was finally right with predicting a Rutgers W, so I'm going to ride the hot hand and pick Rutgers to win 17-14. Expect an old-school football game between two teams that love to run the football.

"Turnovers will be crucial to deciding this game. With 1:11 left in the game in a 14-14 game, (Minnesota quarterback Tanner Morgan) will throw an end zone fade that will be intercepted by (senior defensive back Christian Braswell). After Rutgers gets the ball back at the 20-yard line on the touchback, (freshman running back Samuel Brown V) will get loose on a massive run to set up (junior placekicker Jude McAtamney) for the 41-yard game-winning field goal that will hit the right upright and go in."

Ellis Gordon, correspondent: "This week, Rutgers will go up to Minnesota and play a very close game. Rutgers will be down 27-13 with 1:21 left, with Minnesota punting the ball. (senior wide receiver Aron Cruickshank) takes back the ensuing punt for a touchdown to bring the score to 27-20. Rutgers attempts an onside kick that they recover.

"On the next play, (senior quarterback Noah Vedral) fumbles, and Minnesota recovers the ball to win the game 27-20. For the first time, I have to pick against the Knights."

Allison Girardi, correspondent: "21-17 Minnesota. I honestly hope I’m wrong, but I think Minnesota has the edge here. Even though they’ve been struggling as of late, Rutgers doesn’t have enough offensive power to get the win here."

Eddie Kalegi, contributing writer: "Minnesota 31, Rutgers 10. Despite a stellar performance during Homecoming weekend to collect their first Big Ten win of the season, the Rutgers Scarlet Knights won’t be so fortunate as they head up north.

"As weak as the Big Ten west has been this season, Minnesota has been one of the best programs, and head coach P.J. Fleck always seems to find ways to energize his players for the second half of the season. The Rutgers offense has been much improved with (Vedral) back under center, but they will have to look toward games against Michigan State and Maryland to earn Bowl eligibility."

Gideon Fox, contributing writer: "Three words: Big. Ten. Football. You’ll want to keep your eyes on both teams’ backfields, namely Mohamed Ibrahim for Minnesota and (Brown) for Rutgers. Expect a slogfest — whoever can rip off a 60-yard rushing (touchdown) first wins this one. Rutgers 17-10."

Andrew Rice, contributing writer: "After Rutgers beat Indiana, they will be headed into  Minnesota with some confidence and momentum. Minnesota has a great rushing attack, but Rutgers has a strong run defense that will need to show up big time. 21-14 Rutgers."

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.