MALIK: Rutgers must do more to protect its Palestinian students

Column: On the Good Life

Rutgers' Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) posted on Instagram showing pro-Palestinian chalk art unjustly erased at the direction of the Office of Student Life.  – Photo by @sjprutgersnb / Instagram

Paulo Freire, author of "Pedagogy of the Oppressed," once said: "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral."

This past Wednesday, Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) reported on its Instagram that "three unmarked white vans, operated by University Facilities, drove onto the grass on Voorhees Mall next to the sidewalk we chalked today and washed off all of the chalk … directed by the Office of Student Life."

The organization also noted that "University policy states that chalking done by student organizations can remain for up to five days, so we did not violate university policy." SJP argues that this was a purposeful move for the repression of Palestinian activism, and I fully agree.

Rutgers and University President Jonathan Holloway had already come under fire earlier this month due to Holloway's initial statements on the conflict from October 9 and October 11, which refused to name Palestinians at all — effectively denying them their identity and, therefore, their humanity. It was as if he thought that by not naming Palestinians, he could block out their existence, the injustices they face and their suffering, and no one would bat an eye.

It was a measure to leave Palestinians out of the discussion and focus on only the events, not the context. After this, approximately 200 faculty members responded with criticism, stating that Holloway was being one-sided in an issue that affects civilians from both sides and disappoints the Palestinian population at Rutgers.

It was only approximately a week later that he finally acknowledged Palestinians in an email. By this point, even President Joseph R. Biden Jr., who had first claimed to have seen evidence of beheaded babies by Hamas, which was not true, was whistling another tune of the U.S. giving focus to make sure humanitarian aid can reach Gaza.

At this point, having Holloway argue for humanity and kindness was not new.

It was not for the protection of Palestinian students or to help them feel more comfortable during these tumultuous events, but rather an expected measure to save face and "be neutral" within the limits allowed.

What we have seen is Rutgers and Holloway consistently denying their Palestinian students, and by extension, Muslim students, the safety and dignity to peacefully argue for their positions. They have been more heavily policed, put in unsafe positions and had their peaceful drawings erased. Consistently, their right to freedom of expression has been met with more and more hostility.

Any remediation has been part of a larger movement within the U.S. by elected officials giving a simple truth from Holloway and Rutgers: We do not care for you until they say we can or should. Where "they" are the officials in the nation who have changed their care for Palestinian civilians, not because they care about human lives, but because they care about your votes.

What all this brings to mind is that Rutgers has chosen not to be a safe space for expression, along with a movement of growing hostility toward expression in the U.S.

I am personally tired of this petty back and forth to convince Holloway and Rutgers to care. I am tired of looking for their validation to be seen as peaceful and not be treated as hostile. I am tired of them stating that this University is a safe space for peaceful discussion when they continuously make their bias clear.

Rutgers students should feel free to express their opinions as long as they are not harming others or calling for the harm of others, which is exactly what has been happening. There is no neutrality on Rutgers' part if their idea of rebellion and unease is a couple of chalk drawings in solidarity with Palestine.

The continuous, demoralizing actions taken by Rutgers and Holloway serve to repress and eliminate the discussion of Palestine and Palestinian activism. It feels constant and disheartening as if the purpose is to make you shut up and move on. The power imbalance is clear, with the institution beating down on the students in an effort to get them to move on.

I do not have any answers, but I will say that though Rutgers has effectively decided to create a more hostile, clearly biased environment, it is imperative that we continue to advocate for change.

For those going to the protests or fighting for change or just recognition, I can only say that it does not come easy, but that does not mean it will not come.

Campus activism has a long history in the U.S. and across the world, and we should be willing to recognize our ability to cause change. We should all continue to use our voices and communities to advocate for what we believe in.

The moment we allow them to make us feel powerless — that is our defeat.

Sehar Malik is a sophomore in the School of Arts and Sciences, majoring in molecular biology and biochemistry and minoring in French. Her column, "On the Good Life," runs on alternate Sundays.

*Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day's publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.